1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

tomprobert

Many thanks for the kind words of encouragement, gentlemen. It certainly serves as good motivation for projects as long as these. You never know, I may even cut some 'planks' ready for the other nacelle at this rate!

The radar is similar but the radomes are a fair bit different in shape. I don't have much on the Shackleton though, I probably subconciously thought a 1:32 Shack was impossible. How wrong I was!!!

I've actually been doing a bit more research on the radome, and am trying to locate some decent plans to have it 3D printed. It'll save a load of extra work if I can get it done, rather than having to modify the Avenger one further. 

Tom,

I've read though each of those 1/32 scale massive builds, and I'm truly amazed. The B-29 must be mammoth in scope and size. So just where do you keep them once their completed?

You, like Ben, make scratch building look easy. But for guys like me who are mostly OOB builders, I'm simply amazed at what you're able to create. Sure hope that the Mojo is back, and you're once again back at your bench.

Joel

Hi Joel,

Yes indeed the B-29 is, shall we say, rather large. So large in fact it's only ever been to one model show because:

1) It was a struggle getting it into the boot of the car to get it there;

2) It took up most of my club's display space;

3) There was so much interest in it that I spent the entire show talking to people about it and never got to see the other models on display!

At the Shackleton is a smidge smaller, but not by much!

I keep them all in my attic, on large industrial racking. It's more or less dust free up there, so they sit quite happily out of harm's way. I'm rapidly running out of room though - not surprising when there's 3 x 1/32nd scale B-17s, the 1/32nd B-29,  a 1/32nd scale Halifax, a 1/32nd scale Lancaster, a 1/32nd scale He111, a 1/72nd scale C-17 Globemaster, a 1/72nd scale Boeing 747-300, 1/24th scale Mosquito, not mention the smaller 1/32nd scale jets such as MiG-29s, Tornadoes, Typhoons, Lightnings, plus my other smaller scale collection, too. In fact, the Shackleton has taken up the last available space, so where the 1/32nd scale Sunderland, 1/32nd scale Stirling and 1/72nd DC-10 will go when I get around to building them is anyone's guess...

I did have a 1/32nd B-24 too, but that now resides at the museum at RAF Bungay where the real version of my model was based during the war. Some others might go the same way to create space for the newer builds I'm planning. 

All in all, space is at a premium in my attic!

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

• 1 month later...

Afternoon all default_smile.png

With the school holidays upon us and me entering retirement for the summer, I thought it time to get this project back on to the bench...

pRIY32g.jpg?1

As you can see, it doesn't fit all that well!

I'd got to the stage of completing one outboard engine nacelle, so decided to get the other one done. This began by adding a series of strips (or planks) cut from plastic card and slowly adding them to the framework of the nacelle I'd made earlier:

1wqtygl.jpg?1

These were then built up over a couple of evenings until the basic shape of the nacelle was formed:

LAxqgsn.jpg?1

With the glue allowed to harden for a week, I then coated the nacelle in a generous helping of car body filler:

8FO14Xd.jpg?1

This was then sanded back and a coat of filler-primer applied, before this too was then sanded and polished to leave a beautifully smooth finish to the nacelle:

VViK4kX.jpg?1

After a serious sanding session, some light refreshment is called for default_wink.png

gdcNoqj.jpg?1

I wasn't completely happy with the leading edges of the wings, so I also took the opportunity to re-profile them:

u970DkW.jpg?1

Part Two of this update to follow...

Part II

I then primed and polished up the 3D printed 'power-eggs' and test fitted them to the firewalls - thankfully my careful measuring and planning paid off, and although they're not quite a Tamiya fit, they fitted pretty well:

wmvnEGK.jpg?1

After the power-eggs were glued to the firewalls, it was a simple job to blend them in with filler and then give the wings a primer coat of grey - here the engine fronts are just taped in place as I still need to make the radiators and oil coolers before the fronts can be permanently attached:

ZxBGVdm.jpg?1

nQ2DUXI.jpg?1

And so now a major milestone has been reached, about 18 months after starting this build, and the airframe is now complete:

UlnPLV2.jpg?1

Underside:

N4Cmrff.jpg?2

And here she is with a 1/72nd scale Revell Shackleton as a useful size comparison:

3pMSLke.jpg?1

So now I can concentrate on the detailing of the model - the cockpit and flightdeck may well be the next task as the upper fuselage still needs blending in. The extreme rear of the fuselage needs some tweaks too, but the main construction is now over and I'm pleased to have reached this point in the project - it's all down hill from now on!

All the best,

Tom

Part II

I then primed and polished up the 3D printed 'power-eggs' and test fitted them to the firewalls - thankfully my careful measuring and planning paid off, and although they're not quite a Tamiya fit, they fitted pretty well:

After the power-eggs were glued to the firewalls, it was a simple job to blend them in with filler and then give the wings a primer coat of grey - here the engine fronts are just taped in place as I still need to make the radiators and oil coolers before the fronts can be permanently attached:

And so now a major milestone has been reached, about 18 months after starting this build, and the airframe is now complete:

Underside:

And here she is with a 1/72nd scale Revell Shackleton as a useful size comparison:

So now I can concentrate on the detailing of the model - the cockpit and flightdeck may well be the next task as the upper fuselage still needs blending in. The extreme rear of the fuselage needs some tweaks too, but the main construction is now over and I'm pleased to have reached this point in the project - it's all down hill from now on!

All the best,

Tom

TOTALLY awesome!!   Really impressive work as always Tom. 

Tom 

Simply a truly amazing build to date. Just the size alone is hard for me to comprehend.   Just one question, where and how do you plan on displaying the finished Avro Shackleton AEW2? It sure doesn't seam like it will fit into a standard display cabinet with 18 wide shelves

Joel