1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

tomprobert

Oh wow! That has suddenly become rather large.

You are the first person to solve the "I haven't got enough room in my house for all my models" dilemma by simply building a model into which your house will fit.

That's out of the box thinking!

Great job, looking forward to more.

:popcorn:

Impressive... very impressive... in size, scope, ambition and skill.

Lots of inspirational stuff in every post Tom, I feel like i'm getting a top class scratch building education for free.

Look forward to the next episode

Torben

• 1 month later...

Evening everyone  :)

Not a lot of progress to report on the big Shackleton project, but work has been going on, albeit at a glacial pace...

I've been getting the wing surfaces sorted, as after the outer wings were attached a coat of filler-primer revealed a multitude of sins to be sorted. The original plastic of the Lancaster kit was quite bumpy from the start, and the rather rudimentary panel detailing needed to go, too. So, the pictures you see below are the results of three coats of filler-primer that have now been sanded back and polished, to leave me with a lovely and smooth surface for the final priming:

32419748964_3367853a5c_c.jpg

33134779121_a1d6c6bf04_c.jpg

33134777181_355df7ef20_c.jpg

32880250920_6bcb3aac0a_c.jpg

32880249490_7f521aaf1f_c.jpg

I've also begun the process of marking out the position of the outboard nacelles in preparation to make those:

32880251920_3b47721b05_c.jpg

Have I said before that this model is rather large? Here's a 1/32nd Spitfire snuggled up and shows the massive span of this thing - it's not far short of the 1/32nd B-29 I did a few years back:

32448492073_0b4a80c41c_c.jpg

Not the most enthralling of updates, but I wanted to assure you that this project is still ticking along slowly...

On a final note, does anyone know of a good source of plans for the radome set-up on the AEW2? I'm going to redo my earlier one and need a lower, side, front and rear profile of the 'dome itself is anyone knows of a good set of drawings?

Until next time,

Tom

Guest Peterpools

Tom

Looking great and in my book that is a lot of progress. Talk about big, nope: HUGE

Keep 'em coming

Peter

On a final note, does anyone know of a good source of plans for the radome set-up on the AEW2? I'm going to redo my earlier one and need a lower, side, front and rear profile of the 'dome itself is anyone knows of a good set of drawings?

Tom,

Inspiring update, as always!

On your RFI, I seem to recall that the radar & radome were transplanted from the FAA AEW Skyraiders. That may provide a different approach vector to help sourcing drawings of the radome, specifically.

HTH

Tom,

Inspiring update, as always!

On your RFI, I seem to recall that the radar & radome were transplanted from the FAA AEW Skyraiders. That may provide a different approach vector to help sourcing drawings of the radome, specifically.

HTH

Good point - and you're quite right. Will keep that in mind on my hunt for references.

This is fantastic, Tom.  One can imagine falling in love with a model at this size!

Not sure about falling in love with it, but it's certainly easier to fall over it!