1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

tomprobert

500 MPH Bear...

Wow, when I read this I HAD to check - and sure enough, a quick Google search reveals the Bear had a top speed of 925 KPH that translates to 574 MPH - damn quick for a prop driven monster of this size! 

Guess I should spend more time researching some of these old Cold War weapons.

Thanks for opening my eyes.

Norm.

Superb work Tom, not been able to check as much this last week, but glad I can now, a wicked update.

Hmmm, a 1/32nd Bear, would be a dream for me. Anyone got some drainpipe?

There is a 1/33 paper model of the Tu-95 ... and a very good one at that ;). Print it at 103 % and you have a 1/32 scale one.

http://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/1-33-tu-95-bear.html

Hubert

The only thing that raised my eyebrows was towards the end, when it was suggested that the 300mph Shackleton's main quarry was the 500mph Bear.

Thanks for posting the video link, Lee.

That is a beautifully shot doc. on the old girl, and includes some very nice sequences of items such as the undercarriage in action.

Although I think that when it referred to the Bear as 'quarry', it meant it in AEW terms, rather than as an interceptor (although simple arithmetic tells us for how long and for how much further the Shack could track a Bear). But the interception itself, that was a job for the Lightnings, Phantoms and Tornado F3s that were vectored to the Bear's co-ordinates as provided by the Shacks.

Indeed I believe there are still some arguments as to whether the old thermionic valve era radars performed more robustly against countermeasures than later technology. 

Edited by Chek

500 MPH Bear...

Wow, when I read this I HAD to check - and sure enough, a quick Google search reveals the Bear had a top speed of 925 KPH that translates to 574 MPH - damn quick for a prop driven monster of this size! 

Guess I should spend more time researching some of these old Cold War weapons.

Thanks for opening my eyes.

Norm.

It is quite amazing, isn't it?

Although I'm sure the B-52 crews' ears were thankful that Boeing decided on turbojets rather than the turboprops the Russians ran with.

Hmmm, a 1/32nd Bear, would be a dream for me. Anyone got some drainpipe?

Don't tempt me...  :)

And a great video, Lee - thanks for sharing.

As explained a few posts ago, I've corrected the errors I made with the fuselage windows - I am not entirely sure how I managed to get the positioning so far out as I'm a firm believer in 'measure thrice, cut once', but clearly something went very wrong when I cut these on the fuselage panels a while back.

The fix was fairly simple though - plastic card blanks were added to the incorrectly positioned windows, and then new ones were cut, after more careful measuring. The original windows and now been filled and sanded, ready for some primer to hide my sins:

25874647854_ddfa3d3dcd_c.jpg

26387206662_0980ec8f99_c.jpg

Onwards and upwards, as the old saying goes...

Tom

I took advantage of some sunshine this afternoon and shot some primer over the amended windows and stabilisers. No problems to report...

26418831221_9511c610a3_c.jpg

26212102130_2f8c36f5f8_c.jpg

26392638942_18e167e0d7_c.jpg

The repositioned windows have cured the concerns I had with the fuselage - at least to my eyes, anyway:

26392638272_6a29ca679e_c.jpg

26418828711_2c0bd9f165_c.jpg

May well have a bash at the fins next.

Until next time,

Tom

Looking very good Tom.

Are you going to scribe the panel detail, or impress it with something like a 4H or 6H pencil?

But then I don't know how crumbly that hi-build filler will be when subjected to cold steel.

I couldn't help noticing that the colour of the primer where it's been sanded thin looks very close to the primer shade that unpainted Typhoons fly around in at BAe Warton.

See what you think:

15825470893_b02e27b49d_h.jpg

I wonder if BAe are covering a multitude of sins with it on their airframes?

Tom;

I love this build. Great save on the fuselage windows. I would have thrown a hissy fit and consigned the model to the shelf of doom! But you always seem so undaunted with these superb vacuform builds. I wish I had just an ounce of the skill you have. I have my first vac sitting on the shelf taunting me. It will probably get me certified, but I will use your threads as inspiration.

Can't wait for the next installment!

Best regards;

Steve 

Looking very good Tom.

Are you going to scribe the panel detail, or impress it with something like a 4H or 6H pencil?

But then I don't know how crumbly that hi-build filler will be when subjected to cold steel.

I couldn't help noticing that the colour of the primer where it's been sanded thin looks very close to the primer shade that unpainted Typhoons fly around in at BAe Warton.

See what you think:

I wonder if BAe are covering a multitude of sins with it on their airframes?

The plan is to do a full scribing job and I'll also have a go at adding the rivets, too. The primer scribes well in my previous experience, but ti needs to have been given the chance to harden fully.

And I too can't help wonder about the Typhoons - if their engineers are as ham-fisted as I am they'll need filler primer in an attempt to make it aerodynamic enough to fly!

All joking aside, it really is great stuff and hides a multitude of sins. This model has about 6 coats on now and it's as smooth as a baby's bum - especially when it has a micromesh polish.

Tom;

I love this build. Great save on the fuselage windows. I would have thrown a hissy fit and consigned the model to the shelf of doom! But you always seem so undaunted with these superb vacuform builds. I wish I had just an ounce of the skill you have. I have my first vac sitting on the shelf taunting me. It will probably get me certified, but I will use your threads as inspiration.

Can't wait for the next installment!

Best regards;

Steve 

Cheers, Steve. 

To be honest I'm fully prepared that mistakes will be made - it's the nature of builds like this and you have to just go with the flow. If you don't you'll never get anything completed. It's often one step forward and two steps back, but you get there in the end. With so much of this project being scratch-built it makes the task more challenging, but that's what I love about this side of the hobby. Not everyone's cup of tea I can appreciate, but I love it  :)