1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

tomprobert

1 hour ago, Radders said:

Love it... hopefully this makes it to a Telford one year... I understand how big it is... but it's just too good.

Thanks, Radders - it certainly won't be this year as I'm not going (that's even if it's on) but it'll possibly be done for 2021...

Second round of filling/sanding on the cockpit now complete - and a shot of grey primer to check how things look. Pretty happy with that - a few tiny blemishes to sort when the filler is next out, but nothing too drastic. And boy am I glad to see the back of that hideous brown/orange filler primer!

49980163481_2de90e338a_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

49980138651_90de994aba_z.jpg by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Not sure what to tackle next - finish off the engine nacelles, make a start on the flaps or possibly even the undercarriage bays. Decisions, decisions. 

Stay safe all,

Tom

23 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

And boy am I glad to see the back of that hideous brown/orange filler primer!

It isn't the best colour - but does it's job though!  :)

Looks excellent Tom!!

Iain

5 hours ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Tom, this is simply glorious!

Excellent craftsmanship! 

Thank you - appreciated. 

5 hours ago, Iain said:

It isn't the best colour - but does it's job though!  :)

Iain

That's true, Iain. The browny-orange mix never did grow on me but as you say, it hides a multitude of sin.

Tom

Unifying everything under a coat of gray primer just looks so good.  Truly makes it look like it's ready for the next steps.

I keep seeing Brits using that orange/yellow primer, what's the reason for it? Is it just a high-build primer?

Matt 

• 2 months later...
On 6/7/2020 at 7:06 PM, scvrobeson said:

I keep seeing Brits using that orange/yellow primer, what's the reason for it? Is it just a high-build primer?

Matt 

Sorry Matt - I’ve only just seen your question. 

Yes - it is a high-build primer and when dry sands beautifully, filling any small blemishes. Wonderful stuff - just a shame about the colour!

Tom

• 2 months later...

Tom, I'm sorry for the waterfall of Likes I'm subjecting you to but I've not visited the forum for a while so have had a lot to catch up on! Amazing work. The cockpit parts in particular were beautiful to see come together.

15 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

Tom, I'm sorry for the waterfall of Likes I'm subjecting you to but I've not visited the forum for a while so have had a lot to catch up on! Amazing work. The cockpit parts in particular were beautiful to see come together.

No worries - and thanks for taking the time to stop by and have a read!

Sadly I’ve not been doing much to this of late as I’ve been distracted by the big Sunderland instead but the Shack will be back on the bench in due course :)