1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

tomprobert

Congratulations on your new arrival!

I'm amazed you've managed to fit in any bench time - I certainly wouldn't have been able to when my new 'model' arrived.. (She's 23 now, mind!)

..and your Shackleton is awesome!

Congratulations Tom! Your time will not be your own now for, what, 20 years, all being well!!?? 

And excellent work on the Shack, I noticed in Antics Bristol today the Revell 1:72 scale kit is out, might be useful as a reference.

Tim

Cheers, Tim.

As well as the plans I have I'm also using the Airfix kit. I've already converted that to an AEW2 so wasn't planning on getting the Revell one, but having seen the sprue shots I am very tempted...

Congratulations on your new arrival!

I'm amazed you've managed to fit in any bench time - I certainly wouldn't have been able to when my new 'model' arrived.. (She's 23 now, mind!)

..and your Shackleton is awesome!

I'm lucky in the fact she sleeps well during the day so have been able to get an hour or two at the bench. When she's awake though it's a whole different story!

Time at the bench has been a little limited over the last couple of weeks due to the birth of my daughter Imogen, 

Wow!! Congratulations on your newest addition to the family!! :yahoo:  :thumbsup:  :)

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

I've a little more progress to report on the Shackleton project, and have had some time at the bench despite my new daughter's best efforts to keep me away...

I've been working on the extreme rear of the fuselage, as I'd got as far as making the skins to the rear of the bomb bay, but not a lot further. Progress was slower for the rear section, as being quite different to the Lancaster in this area, I've had very little of the Lancaster kit that was of use. However, there were a few bits here and there that with very careful planning and cutting to shape I was able to incorporate. Despite this, there was a whole lot of filling gaps with regular plastic card, often heat shaped in hot water, and then plenty of subsequent blending in with filler. Thankfully I remembered to build the tail wheel bay at this point as this would have been a right pain to add later!

25982545956_286681ef80_c.jpg

You can see how the filler hides a multitude of sins... P38... a modeller's best friend!

25379688073_3130b66b6f_c.jpg

So now the basic outline (apart from the flightdeck area) is about done. There's still a little fettling to be done at the extreme rear as I'm not totally happy with the shape, but this area has to be cut off anyway as I need to add some detail to the extreme tail section such as the internal ribbing and the observers cushions and such-like. Therefore, a little more shaping and fine tuning can take place when I reattach the tail section.

From the rear:

25982698546_b0ddd8ffeb_c.jpg

25887716332_87fa47066b_c.jpg

And from the front:

25375699664_8dc1d0bc71_c.jpg

26008376955_5f1dbd2f53_c.jpg

Hopefully it'll all look a little more uniform with some primer on - that'll be the job over the next few days.

Until next time,

Tom

Modelling at it's finest Tom! Congratulations on the arrival of your beautiful little girl!

Cheers,

Wolf

Cheers, Wolf!

My daughter is quite the distraction, but I could think of a lot worse things to keep me from the bench!

I've given the model a good coat of filler primer this evening so it'll harden off over night and then tomorrow I should get a good picture of how it's shaping up.

Tom

Guest Peterpools

Tom

Wonderful progress on the Shackleton, as the fuselage looks so good.

Congratulations on your little girl ... what a wonderful distraction

Keep 'em coming

Peter