1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

tomprobert

Absolutely mate, I know what you mean. The thing I like about the large projects is that you can work on different areas if you run into some temporary problems on others until you can work out a solution, then go back at another stage.

Double respect to you now that you are managing a small child at the same time! :)

Craig

A quick update for you...

I've been working on getting the wing centre-section fared into to the fuselage which, surprise surprise, involves plenty of filler. I actually apply more than is needed, but this makes the whole process of blending everything in that much simpler, giving a smooth transaction between the parts. P38 sands very easily so it's no hardship:

26196361065_b6938742ac_c.jpg

26103905312_ebb1de87c7_c.jpg

Tools of the trade: an old patio table at the bottom of the garden, lots of sand paper of varying grades, water to keep dust to a minimum, a wooden block to avoid creating bumps and troughs whilst sanding, face mask and of course the model itself. It's essential to sand outside as the dust gets everywhere, and my dearly beloved tends to get excited if I do it indoors, especially if she's just done the dusting biggrin.png

26196360185_38a705e322_c.jpg

And the result - as you can see with some careful sanding and the use of fine finishing paper and micromesh you can get a beautifully smooth result which is ready for priming:

25591611554_b1b2a65b99_c.jpg

Hopefully I can get a shot of primer on tomorrow...

Until next time,

Tom

Terrific progress, Tom. I can't believe how quickly this one is coming together! I can't even build an OOB kit as fast.

Kev

Thanks, Kev.

The joys of being a teacher on Easter hols...  :)

Unfortunately I'm back to work next week so things are going to slow down a bit... but it'll soon be summer :thumbsup:  

The everlasting effort, enthousiasm, and ingenuity is very impressive when looking at a project like this.

Your Shackleton is coming along really good, i can't wait to see it being accomplished.

Your approach to a lot of detail items is very inspirational to me, since i've got a more or less similar project to tackle, a 1/32 scale lockheed PV2 Neptune, for which i'm still planning how to get along with it.

Jack.

Edited by Jack

superb stuff - I come here to get inspired :)

It's essential to sand outside as the dust gets everywhere, and my dearly beloved tends to get excited if I do it indoors, especially if she's just done the dusting biggrin.png

you are such a gentleman Tom - I thought I was doing the right thing by just closing the door...

Peter

The everlasting effort, enthousiasm, and ingenuity is very impressive when looking at a project like this.

Your Shackleton is coming along really good, i can't wait to see it being accomplished.

Your approach to a lot of detail items is very inspirational to me, since i've got a more or less similar project to tackle, a 1/32 scale lockheed PV2 Neptune, for which i'm still planning how to get along with it.

Jack.

Hi Jack,

I'm on a roll with this at the moment, but I know from experience that the enthusiasm doesn't last forever and will probably wane in a little while. I'll crack on with something else more simple and 'out of the box' for a while to have a break, and then the itch needs scratching again and I return refreshed and raring to go once again. 

A Neptune sounds like a fantastic project, and providing you've got some decent plans, anything is possible really. If I can provide a few hints of what to do and what not to do then I'm glad. To be honest this is an experiment for me as I've never done anything like this before, but so far, so good. In fact, I've already started to plan the next project for when this one's done.

superb stuff - I come here to get inspired :)

you are such a gentleman Tom - I thought I was doing the right thing by just closing the door...

Peter

:) It's always worth keeping the wife onside... I've more large scale projects to complete in the coming years and I need her to remain understanding...

Have shot some primer on the centre-section this afternoon - has come out well on the whole:

26187206866_87cea9bcd4_c.jpg

26120658022_cb52a80795_c.jpg

25610462953_d857a454e0_c.jpg

Just need to give it a good polish with some micromesh now - I always allow the paint to harden for a good 24hrs first though.

Tom

Guest Peterpools

Tom

Awesome progress - filler and sanding looks smooth as can be.

You absolutely found the key to success: keep the better half happy and the mess now where to be found.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Tom, I took a load of photos of the AEW Skyraiders at Yeovilton, including the radome, which I understand is the same. Any use to you?

Yes please!

I've sourced a 1/32nd radome but it's devoid of any detail. Some close ups would be great.

looks awesome Tom!

I'm liking more and more that filler/primer stuff. Can you explain some more about what it does, its consistency and purpose? Is it literally just yellow colour primer, same as the Halfords grey? Or is it thicker to act as, er, a filler.

Come to think of it, it might be perfect for me as I want to get all creative and do some heavy weathering on my build - i.e. have some chipping showing the primer coat. It looks to be a similar shade to the yellow primer used on real aircraft..

looks awesome Tom!

I'm liking more and more that filler/primer stuff. Can you explain some more about what it does, its consistency and purpose? Is it literally just yellow colour primer, same as the Halfords grey? Or is it thicker to act as, er, a filler.

Come to think of it, it might be perfect for me as I want to get all creative and do some heavy weathering on my build - i.e. have some chipping showing the primer coat. It looks to be a similar shade to the yellow primer used on real aircraft..

Hi Rich,

It is indeed a filler-primer, and is quite a bit thicker than Halfords' grey primer. 

As its name suggests, it fills any small imperfections and blemishes on the surface, and after a rub-down you get a very smooth surface upon which you can continue to work your magic. It's certainly no good for models where there's already surface detail as it would fill it - but the great thing is that when it's completely dry it takes a scriber really nicely, so you can add your own details to your heart's content. For projects such as this Shackleton, it has saved me hours of additional surface prep, as with a couple of coats with a rub down in between, it's given me a very workable, blemish free surface. It's great stuff!

Cheers,

Tom

I've made a start on the stabilisers, which will be based on the ID Models Lancaster parts:

26020638090_46e8077620_c.jpg

The later model Manchesters, Lancaster, Lincoln and Shackleton all share the same span, but the chord was increased on the Shackleton. Here you can see how the chord needs to be widened with the Lancaster parts being placed on the Shackleton plans. I've also removed the elevators as these are a little basic in shape and I will make my own at a later date:

25690769083_6c5e5a25e8_c.jpg

So the solution is to cut the stabilisers down their length:

25690768603_8d0f228ff3_c.jpg

And add a plastic card insert to widen them to the correct chord:

26020638560_d71a455980_c.jpg

Now that's sorted, it'll be a case of filling the gap and constructing the stabilisers in readiness for adding to the rear fuselage...

Until next time,

Tom