1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

tomprobert

Two updates in the space of a week? Wow - I'm back in the groove smile.png

I've been focusing on the inboard engine nacelles in the last few sessions at the bench - as well as the plans I have there's also plenty of information on the 'net, too. Check out this beautifully detailed image of the St Mawgan MR2 gate-guardian being disassembled ready for a brighter future (picture courtesy of the RAF news website)

28756717886_c987b395be_c.jpg

Notice how the firewalls are not circular as I had always presumed - this would have to be carefully replicated on my build - here they are in situ:

28711259931_a321654750_c.jpg

Although the Shackleton shared many common parts with the Lancaster inboard nacelles (more on that shortly) the Shackleton nacelle was much longer and had a streamlined fairing which protruded from the trailing edge of the wing. This was carefully copied from the plans and glued to the wing:

28756676816_64ec01b807_c.jpg

I was able to use the wheel-bay area of the ID Models Lancaster kit, and once the forward and rear bulkheads were made and added from plastic card, this gave a good starting point to start creating the rear section of the nacelle from plastic card formers:

28170727804_bac8852dde_c.jpg

Both sets were made alongside each other and added simultaneously to ensure they are identical:

28788671665_2ff5fac683_c.jpg

The forward-most section immediately behind the firewall and and the rear sections will now be skinned with the planking method I've used before:

28711259191_5b1d1ababf_c.jpg

...so when that's done I'll update you again.

Tom 

Good evening guys and gals...

I've got the inboard engine nacelles and fairings completed this week, which began by once again using plastic card 'planks' to cover the frame of the nacelles built previously. This method is time consuming, but allows the complex curves of the shape to be replicated far more easily than using sheets of larger card, as bending this to shape and getting it to conform to the desired shape is more hassle than it's worth. It all looks a little rough and ready in this picture, and you can see how the donor Lancaster nacelle starts to taper a lot sooner than on the Shackleton as the Lancaster nacelle fairing is of course in line with the trailing edge - unlike the Shackleton. This mis-shape would be solved with filler:

28281788223_0864aeb1a1_c.jpg

In this photo you can see how the extreme rear of the nacelle would be very difficult to get right with the plank method, so instead I sculpted this complex shape with Milliput, seen here after an initial sanding:

28612163070_9b97f5b8c4_c.jpg

After the usual P38 automotive filler treatment and a thorough session with the wet and dry paper, the nacelle took on the shape of the real thing and is now as smooth as a baby's bottom - you can see how the filler has built up the dip at the taper at the end of the Lancaster donor parts and planks, solving the shape problem:

28896852425_19154c4535_c.jpg

28281789723_e9194d2c15_c.jpg

I'm really pleased with the results, and I think have captured the complex shape of the real aircraft reasonably well - or as well as I could hope for, anyway!

28281790763_ba77c6e64c_c.jpg

28281789053_0ea4f383cc_c.jpg

28279471024_d96f0dd5ce_c.jpg

28281793383_a8116953e2_c.jpg

You've probably noticed the nacelles haven't had their usual coating in filler-primer, and that's because I've run out... and I've also just run out of P38 too; that's a whole tin used on this project so far. A trip to Halfords, me thinks...

28279472274_14685d3f5a_c.jpg

...but when you consider this project has cost me nothing more than the price of some plastic card sheets and £7.99 for a tub of P38, that's pretty good going!

Until next time,

Tom

Superb work as always, Tom! I think you and Peter should collaborate on a book about scratch-building!

Kev

I say Peter should make something.......or part of something, then send it to Tom to finish...............couldn't HELP but be brilliant in the end. 

On 4/15/2016 at 11:47 PM, Radders said:

Superb work Tom, not been able to check as much this last week, but glad I can now, a wicked update.

Hmmm, a 1/32nd Bear, would be a dream for me. Anyone got some drainpipe?

Show me a 91.5mm O/D drain pipe, and I'll show you a 1/32 Tu-95 Bear! ;)

Derek

Edited by Derek B