1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

tomprobert

I've been working on the fins of late, so time for an update.

My original plan was to use the Lancaster fins as a starting point, but I didn't realise how much larger the Shackleton's fins are, not to mention the substantial shape differences:

26138380174_f0fce4f9f9_c.jpg

The solution was to cut a plastic card template, and then copy it eight times to give me four laminated pieces per fin, which provided the correct thickness. These were then glued with polystyrene cement, clamped together and allowed to dry for 48 hours:

26114793803_e0f53ede53_c.jpg

I then started to sand the leading edges to get the aerofoil shape:

26112159194_8daf24c8ab_c.jpg

Checking the plans regularly as I went:

26114793193_e4b8a6d2e5_c.jpg

With the shape correct, I then primed each fin and added the surface details, including those famous rivets:

26114794213_4fc92fba73_c.jpg

I then inserted small metal pins into the inner surfaces of the fins, and drilled holes in the ends of the stabilisers to attach them firmly:

26705971536_2421546d04_c.jpg

I think they look passable in situ:

26638637572_10bd4120c5_c.jpg

26127916823_4b44f51a42_c.jpg

26731946945_97d8914be0_c.jpg

Until next time,

Tom

The great thing about models is that they allow you to more readily appreciate the physical differences between one subject and another.

Being old enough to have seen Lancs and Shacks in close proximity at airshows in the past, while their common heritage was plain to see, the size difference was not.

Even when parked in close to each other.

I'm still amazed at how much bigger the Shack is, and how underfed the Lanc parts look in comparison.

But I think I'll have to confine my curiosity to humble 1/72 scale in this case.

Edited by Chek

"passable"

Oh yes Tom, they are passable alright.. they are bloody insanely brilliant more like, I just cannot wait to see this at Telford in November - given the presence your Halifax had, this will just dominate the room..

as a first scratchbuilt this is really setting the standard and certainly shows that from absolutely nothing, the aeroplane you always wanted is only time and determination away..

keep it up :)
Peter

you make that look so easy....

Thanks - but it's just a case of trial and error - nothing more - I can assure you.

The great thing about models is that they allow you to more readily appreciate the physical differences between one subject and another.

Being old enough to have seen Lancs and Shacks in close proximity at airshows in the past, while their common heritage was plain to see, the size difference was not.

Even when parked in close to each other.

I'm still amazed at how much bigger the Shack is, and how underfed the Lanc parts look in comparison.

But I think I'll have to confine my curiosity to humble 1/72 scale in this case.

Indeed - the Lanc is a tiddler in comparison. I'm looking forward to the day the HK version starts appearing on the tables at shows and with this alongside, it'll provide an interesting comparison.

"passable"

Oh yes Tom, they are passable alright.. they are bloody insanely brilliant more like, I just cannot wait to see this at Telford in November - given the presence your Halifax had, this will just dominate the room..

as a first scratchbuilt this is really setting the standard and certainly shows that from absolutely nothing, the aeroplane you always wanted is only time and determination away..

keep it up :)

Peter

That's high praise indeed coming from you, Peter - many thanks. Will definitely look forward to catching up at Telford.

The canopy area has been giving me headaches since I started this project, but a little delivery today may have the solution...

Knowing someone 'in the know' at HK Models (thanks Cees!) I've managed to source an early test-shot of the soon-to-be released Lancaster cockpit. This one is solid plastic but will be perfect for my needs.

In this picture below you can see the forward quarter and side windows of the Lancaster cockpit:

25908500333_78fda13329.jpg

Which are identical to those on the Shackleton:

25908500273_c3ff00f51b.jpg

So the plan is to use sections of this:

26731049471_1274b7c461_c.jpg

26773350486_55a68b2543_c.jpg

...to make up the cockpit area.

My plan is to drill out and open up the windows themselves, leaving the frames which will be glazed at a later date. The forward quarter and side sections will be used, with the centre-section of the wider Shackleton cockpit having frames made from plastic strip. This will then be blended with filler into the area immediately behind the cockpit and hopefully, it should do the trick.

That's the plan, anyway...

I'll keep you posted.

Tom

Tom. if I may offer a suggestion.....

Having the HKM Lanc canopy is an undoubted bonus for your project.

To preserve its usefulness however, I'd suggest making a simple mould of the quarterlight-side panel area, either with childrens' playdough or bathroom sealer silicone (this is assuming you don't have a supply of silicone already) from which you can cast an epoxy resin or cellulose resin copy.

Sanding the frame detail  off the copy moulding will allow you to vac/plunge form a much cleaner copy, to which framework can be added.

Otherwise there's an awful lot of tedious 0.3mm drilling ahead to draw a vac-forming mould anywhere close to all that framework.