1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

tomprobert

Hello Tom, 

Big fan of your builds, have you tried Amazon prime? It looks like they're still delivering and I found some spray filler/primer pretty fast - even the same colour as Halfords version. Sorry, don't know how to do a link!

Keep on modelling ( where DO you keep em when they're finished?!)

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

3 hours ago, Captain Boogaloo said:

Hello Tom, 

Big fan of your builds, have you tried Amazon prime? It looks like they're still delivering and I found some spray filler/primer pretty fast - even the same colour as Halfords version. Sorry, don't know how to do a link!

Keep on modelling ( where DO you keep em when they're finished?!)

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

That’s interesting - I was just going to wait it out as I need a few colours from Halfords when they reopen. However, if I get desperate, I know what to do. 

Many thanks!

5 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Howdy folks :)

And there we have it! Well - not quite. Still some fettling to do with the hinges and they also need priming. Unfortunately the local Halfords is closed due to the virus and I've run out of primer, so that'll have to wait. 

Stay safe people and thanks as ever for stopping by.

Tom

Thats a bit of a pain when you are in full flow Tom! However as its probably going to be the longest ever Easter Holidays probably going through to September you could have a crack at getting the even bigger Sunderland back on the bench:rolleyes:, always love your builds and what you can do with these scary vac form kits.

Regards. Andy

Tom, 

Eurocarparts do a small selection for delivery (some out of stock/some can be ordered in). Not sure if the Hycote stuff is 'too hot', but i'm sure from memory the plastic primer is OK for kits... sure i've used this in the past with no issues. 

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/hycote-grey-primer-400ml-552776101

19 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Thats a bit of a pain when you are in full flow Tom! However as its probably going to be the longest ever Easter Holidays probably going through to September you could have a crack at getting the even bigger Sunderland back on the bench:rolleyes:, always love your builds and what you can do with these scary vac form kits.

Regards. Andy

Hi Andy,

The Sunderland hasn’t been forgotten - I was doing some of the more tedious interior ribbing only a few weeks ago but progress is slow so not really worth photographing. I do tend to hop about quite a bit with my builds so who knows, next week it may be back on the bench!

18 hours ago, Radders said:

Tom, 

Eurocarparts do a small selection for delivery (some out of stock/some can be ordered in). Not sure if the Hycote stuff is 'too hot', but i'm sure from memory the plastic primer is OK for kits... sure i've used this in the past with no issues. 

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/hycote-grey-primer-400ml-552776101

Thanks for this, Radders. One to keep in mind if I’m desperate for paint! Appreciated. 

16 hours ago, brahman104 said:

Well you made that look easy! I'll have to give your method a go when it comes to my tail surfaces. Thanks for the tip!

Craig

It’s a pretty fool-proof method, Craig. As long as you have the basic shape of the elevator correct, you can’t go wrong. A walk in the park for a man of your talents...

2 hours ago, Renegade said:

Tom, you Sir, are one of the neatest scratch builders ever! :bow:

Your build is truly inspirational, and such a unique subject as well :clap2:

You’re very kind - it might look neat, but the bin is always full of my previous mistakes you don’t get to see!

All the best, folks - stay safe. 
Tom

Evening all,

Making the most of self-isolation, I've made a start on the cockpit interior. I absolutely Detest (with a capital D) making cockpits - I find it tedious enough painting kit cockpits so scratch-building them is even worse. I've been putting it off as long as possible with this build, but it's got to the stage where I can't put it off any longer.

I thought I'd start with the instrument panel and get that out of the way first. I'll say now that this is far from a perfect replica of a Shackleton MkII instrument panel, but the overall effect is close enough for my liking.

The initial job is to make the panel itself and this was done using plastic card. I made some basic rudder pedals beneath from more plastic strip and card. The individual panel sections - in this case the Shackleton seems to have two centre panels (lower one larger and the upper one slightly smaller) and then a panel with the primary flight instruments for each the pilot and co-pilot - were made next and offered up to the main panel for sizing. When the shapes and sizes were correct, I then set about using Airscale's excellent instrument bezel sets to start bringing the whole thing to life:

49735981832_8d18489ec8_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The whole panel then got a spraying of matt black, with a drybrush of dark grey to bring out some of the details:

49735111513_04c78c392e_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Next was adding instrument decals - again the excellent Airscale sets to the rescue here:

49735981727_b64f9ca848_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

A clear gloss varnish was added to the instrument faces to represent the glass, and some light weathering added on the rudder pedals before it was fitted to the forward bulkhead:

49735111418_7d69dd3931_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The macro photography makes it look a lot rougher than it actually is, and I'm quite pleased with the outcome so far. Obviously lots more to do, but as I'm currently in the swing of making instrument panels and the like, I may have a go at the Flight Engineer's panel next. Stay tuned...

Tom