1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

tomprobert

Thanks for the warm welcome back, folks. 

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Nice, really glad to see this one back!   Even if I would have loved to see the Short Sunderland make a return!

The Sunderland has not been forgotten, fear not. I was only doing a little bit to the interior the other day - not really worth photographing but it’s still ticking along, albeit at a glacial pace. 
I’ve still got the 1/48th B-52 lurking around the bench too - in fact I hop around like a pea on a drum between projects so no tellings what’ll get worked on next and when!

All the best,

Tom

4 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Thanks for the warm welcome back, folks. 

The Sunderland has not been forgotten, fear not. I was only doing a little bit to the interior the other day - not really worth photographing but it’s still ticking along, albeit at a glacial pace. 
I’ve still got the 1/48th B-52 lurking around the bench too - in fact I hop around like a pea on a drum between projects so no tellings what’ll get worked on next and when!

All the best,

Tom

Whew! And I thought I was the only one with this problem!

THOR    :ph34r:

I've been steadily shaping the rear end today - quite pleased with the new look and I think a big improvement over my original effort:

49705174503_ce0059ea79_z.jpgS1030208 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I've also begun making the master mold for the plexiglass tail cone - this will be bulked out and shaped with Milliput in due course:

49705709686_9e10348456_z.jpgS1030200 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Good to be making some progress on this again :)

Take care all,

Tom

Great to see you back on this one Tom! I'm sure you've watched this before but I only just came across it this morning.

The first thing I noticed was the rear fuselage having flat sides, just as you pointed out!!! ;)

It's quite interesting how one plane was available as either a nose wheel OR tail dragger!

Can't wait to see more!

Craig

Howdy folks :)

I hope everyone is managing to stay healthy and out of the way of this ghastly virus - I've been making the most of my time at home and have made the elevators for the big Shackleton.

Scratch-building this sort of thing is really straightforward, and can be covered in the following steps:

Step 1:

Using scaled plans, cut yourself four elevator shapes (two left and two right) from plastic card. O.25mm is about the right thickness:

49716350536_2c0a347de7_z.jpgIMG_1877 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Step 2:

Again, using plans to guide me, the main panel lines are scribed on. This is done before further construction as it's far easier to scribe on to flat plastic card than when it's on the airframe:

49716350396_e0c4b81c45_z.jpgIMG_1879 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Step 3:

Rivets are added:

49716664187_084070bb51_z.jpgIMG_1883 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Pressing on to the soft cutting mat has actually left a nice oil-canning effect - bonus!

49716664012_2719d7d3c5_z.jpgIMG_1885 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Step 4:

Using off-cuts of sprue, the leading edges of the elevators are made and attached to the hingeline:

49716349846_19cbdc40f9_z.jpgIMG_1886 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Step 5:

Top and bottom 'skins' are then sandwiched together:

49715807673_95a8ef09ae_z.jpgIMG_1888 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Step 6:

The leading edges and end plates are then blended with Milliput:

49715807483_1f4e238ea4_z.jpgIMG_1891 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Step 7:

Fit your latest creations to the stabilisers:

49716664632_4912d1e948_z.jpgIMG_1893 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

And there we have it! Well - not quite. Still some fettling to do with the hinges and they also need priming. Unfortunately the local Halfords is closed due to the virus and I've run out of primer, so that'll have to wait. 

Stay safe people and thanks as ever for stopping by.

Tom