1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

tomprobert

Hello Tom. Just dropped by to say what a pleasure it was to meet you at Telford on Sunday and see this big girl in the flesh. The quality of your work is even more impressive in the flesh and I commend you on your approach to surface fidelity. It's a joy to see subtlety and restraint employed when it is all too easy to overdo panel lines and surface details.

Congrats on a beautiful scratch guild so far.

Cheers.

• 2 years later...

Dragging this thread up from the distant past - has it really been nearly a year and a half since I did anything to this?! :o

No progress as such, but I did manage to score some very useful parts for this project from the good folks at HK Models whilst at Telford... a full set of their Lancaster landing gear legs and struts which has given me a bit of nudge in this model's direction - thanks @Cees Broere!

Now it's a case of digging out the reference books again and seeing how the Lanc/Shackleton set up differed...

Tom

Forgive me if you stated this somewhere already, but would you mind sharing what thickness of card you used to cut into strips early on in the build? I can’t seem to find that info.

Great looking scratchbuild and I can’t wait for more updates,

C.

12 hours ago, ChuckT said:

Forgive me if you stated this somewhere already, but would you mind sharing what thickness of card you used to cut into strips early on in the build? I can’t seem to find that info.

Great looking scratchbuild and I can’t wait for more updates,

C.

Sorry - I’ve just seen your PM about this. I honestly can’t remember the card thickness now, but I’ll have a look when I’m next in the loft to see if I have any left in my stash. 

On 12/22/2019 at 12:09 AM, Smeds said:

Hi Tom, I have an Avenger TBM-3 stalled project. If the radome is any good to you, its yours. It is attatched to the fuselage though.

That’s a really kind offer - thank you - but I’ve done exactly the same as you and already have the exact same radome modified and ready for installation when the time comes!

Tom

• 2 months later...

Afternoon all :)

It's been a while since I've done anything on this long-term build, but decided to get it back out for a bit of TLC and decided to jump straight back in and tackle something that I'd been needing to correct...

When building the fuselage what seems like years ago I had somehow managed to make the extreme rear fuselage (where the rear observation glazing mates) completely the wrong shape. In my example, you can see I've made the fuselage sides curved, and the upper and lower fuselage too curved as well:

49701737592_1344fd897a_z.jpgIMG_1859 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

...when compared to the real thing - taken at the Charlwood museum - which shows flat sides and top:

49700892953_c1c9376854_z.jpgTail Glazing by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

So, using some better plans as well as the good old Mk1 eyeball, I made a new shape for the rear fuselage:

49701737387_14fc4e8a31_z.jpgIMG_1861 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

...which when offered up already improves the look:

49701737467_f2c6c51163_z.jpgIMG_1860 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The difference has now been built up with filler, and slowly a much better-shaped rear fuselage is beginning to emerge:

49700892408_a96659cf5f_z.jpgIMG_1868 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Still plenty of shaping and blending to do, but I'm much happier with this now.

I've also began inserting the framing into the cockpit as these will be needed to support the glazing when the time comes:

49700892488_c5cc2a14e9_z.jpgIMG_1867 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I'm enjoying being back on this - let's see how long the motivation lasts!

All the best,

Tom