Lets help LSP Kevin out to get a new computer.

ericg

Mmmm We can do 1 thing, remove cpu And take a look at cooling paste. If it's dry remove it and put fresh paste on, then try again. Think Your cooling paste is dried out as fan kicks in hard.

Clean cpu and fan, then add some new paste, use plastic gloves, it is toxic, rub some on cpu and fan, then try again. Think that is the problem.

Let us know.

Good luck.

Theo

Mmmm We can do 1 thing, remove cpu And take a look at cooling paste. If it's dry remove it and put fresh paste on, then try again. Think Your cooling paste is dried out as fan kicks in hard.

Clean cpu and fan, then add some new paste, use plastic gloves, it is toxic, rub some on cpu and fan, then try again. Think that is the problem.

Let us know.

Good luck.

Theo

Thanks for your input, Theo. We have an Apple repair technician who comes in to my workplace several days per week, so I'll be taking it in for him to have a look at. Even if he manages to get it going again, I think it's still time for it to be replaced, which is something I actually wanted to do 2 years ago. My main concern at this stage is my data. Fingers crossed...

Kev

Well, I've just logged in to my PayPal account, and I have to say that l'm blown away! And quite humbled in fact. I'm posting via my iPad at the moment, and it's a bit tedious, so l regret that I can't thank you all individually, but rest assured that I am deeply grateful.

Kev

Thanks, Brent! And to Alan and Dan, too. What really blows me away is the amounts you guys are willing to contribute. I expected (and would have been fully happy with) lots of small amounts, $1 to $5 maybe - or perhaps even nothing at all! Just incredible generosity.

Kev