talking about "early" cold war warriors........

Jack

I'd really like to do one of the standing nuke force CF-104s in Germany in the late 60s. There's not much info out there on that part of RCAF history. It was kinda buried after the Voodoo retirement to advance the peaceful nation narrative.

There's some info in the new Air Doc book on the Starfighter in Canadian service.

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reference/details.php?title=5607

Almost 5 pages on the nuclear roll of the CF-104 in the Weapons chapter and some on the politics and Parliment in the Canadair production chapter. 

Doesn't Great Wall make kits of all three "V" bombers?

On a separate note, how challenging are the Airfix Buccaneer kits in 1/48th? I have one in the stash that had two complete sets of sprues in the box.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

On a separate note, how challenging are the Airfix Buccaneer kits in 1/48th? I have one in the stash that had two complete sets of sprues in the box.

Carl

The Airfix Buccs suffer from severe fuselage warpage, and are rough builds. Britmodeller has a (pinned?) thread on how to build it with a minimum of pain.

The Mach 2 kit can be built into a reasonable replica with what the late Phil "Bondo" Brandt would have called a lot of "practice bleeding", but now the Airfix kit means that the effort isn't worth the pain. I'm sure the Mach 2 kit can be used as the basis for something - just haven't worked out what as yet. Maybe one of Tony Buttler's "Secret British Bombers" or a Vickers 1000 ...

Edited by Wetwings

What was the mission of them Bucc? Tactical nuke? Mud mover?

Originally anti-shipping to counter the then-new Soviet Sverdlov-class cruisers [Edit: I forgot, but looked up, the class name].  You may have seen that the S1 was often painted in overall white with "pale" markings, which of course means a nuclear role.

The RN mission was predominantly that.  The RAF mission was anti-shipping (12 and 208 Sqns from Honington, later Lossiemouth) and overland strike from Germany (15 & 16 Sqns). 

For further reading see http://www.avcollect.com/blackburnbuccaneer.htmland http://www.amazon.co.uk/Books-Buccaneers-Operational-Service-Royal-Airforce/dp/1852606118/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1453186578&sr=8-16&keywords=graham+pitchfork

I particularly recommend the book - sorry, my signed copy is not not for sale.

Edited by MikeC

I love the Bucc. But it's got a face only a mother could love. Well, maybe not even Mom could love that thing.

But the crews sure loved them and they did the job. So typically British, though. Form after function, loooong after function....

I have to disagree with you, Ernie. It was the best looking of the Blackburn lineage. I guess someone in their design office finally found out the (hitherto well-hidden) French Curves for drafting. As they could not apparently use two types of drafting instruments, they then decided to discard the faithful rulers they had been using for 5 decades :)

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers