Post Apocalyptic OV-10A Bronco

Haggis

Hi chaps, here's the next update.

Painting, the best bit!

The whole thing was under coated with Alclad Duralumin before a sealing coat of matt varnish then a few coats of Ammo of Mig Scratch Effects chipping fluid.  I decided to do the tail plane in SEA camo so this was sprayed free hand using GSI Creos.  Note, no pre shading (a hateful bloody procedure) and only a little post shading.  I always try to keep things as realistic as possible!

P1000158_zpspej78qsw.jpg

Using a load of tap water and a soft (ish) brush, the area was chipped to buggery!

P1000173_zpssnqh45fe.jpg

P1000179_zpsnwxhafv1.jpg

The drop tank had the same treatment.

P1000140_zps0gshczxg.jpg

P1000148_zpszwnibwyx.jpg

P1000185_zpsdqdu8rkj.jpg

Now for the tail.  I had previously undercoated the relevant areas white and the "male" portion of the tail marking was applied in place followed by a coat o that Duralumin.  Varnish and Scratch Effects fluid were applied before the top coat of red (GSI Creos and Tamiya).  The nerve wracking bit was the freehand black border, this was to increase the contrast of the marking against the background!

P1000347_zpsjkwunvhj.jpg

The red was chipped as before.

P1000353_zpsjwmhzw76.jpg

Its always satisfying removing masks.  Here's the finished result, badass or what!

P1000356_zpseeepa37m.jpg

With a large aeroplane, I find it easier to work in sections so with this job I started on the fuselage.  The black wasn't really black, it was a mix of black, blue and deck tan.

P1000368_zpsvy3vak1z.jpg

This Ammo of Mig Scratch Effects is ace.

P1000375_zpsmuadqofr.jpg

Wings were next and had the same treatment.  Note the masks for the skulls were already in place.  I had to cut the one covered with the plastic card panel.  The black was tinted with different levels of tan and blue, some areas had neat black.  I tried to keep it patchy and worn rather than a random squiggle or other effect.

P1000389_zps8jsgsir4.jpg

P1000390_zpsww9fg4cy.jpg

Yet more chipping.  Note how the raised bits of my home made rivets get caught thus accentuating them.

P1000400_zpsyt95rqko.jpg

Badass!

P1000406_zps6x1lcirn.jpg

That's just the tail booms to go.

P1000410_zpswyoqwahm.jpg

Base coat complete.  Very cool, its all coming together.

P1000431_zpsyphvemyn.jpg

Edited by Haggis

Now for that Pepsi logo.  The plastic card was masked off then a base coat of Mr. Paint Basic White was applied.  This is very tough satin coat which will be an ideal base for what comes next.

P1000441_zpsilaijuzr.jpg

The awesome Miracle masks was carefully placed on and the red portion removed.  Using Mr. Paint again the red was built up but I was careful to leave it faded and random.

P1000455_zps2ipmyeph.jpg

Next the red was masked being careful top cover any joins (otherwise there is a risk of hair line over spray).  The blue was sprayed on, again with mr paint but mixed using Gloss Sea Blue and White until it looked right by eye.

P1000456_zpsmq9d6yj7.jpg

And here is that finished logo.

P1000462_zpshcmgtha8.jpg

P1000465_zpstcair9ht.jpg

Now for the weathering.  Chipping was done using various sponges and Ammo of Mig Chipping Colour acrylic.

P1000473_zps7wkkk2uq.jpg

Once again turning to Ammo of Mig, I used Track Wask to accentuate the riveting and simulate some old rust staining, concentrating on the heaviest chipping.

P1000484_zpsb1emd3dj.jpg

In some areas the track wash was streaked back using a flat brush.

P1000489_zpsucxrushy.jpg

Tiny amounts of Rust coloured oils (Abteilung) were blended into the heaviest chipping.

P1000496_zpsqvn2wvkz.jpg

And here it is all finished after a coat of matt varnish to seal it all in.

P1000501_zpssyyuv5fw.jpg

Next up was the steel plates, there are a number on the aircraft blanking off the undercarriage and here, on the wing as another patch.

First off a coat of Alclad Steel.

P1000507_zpsrcblilim.jpg

Matt varnish helps to seal it in but also helps to create finer chipping.  So after a coat of chipping fluid Tamiya red Brown was sprayed on in a fairly opaque coat.

P1000513_zpssecepchj.jpg

This was chipped as before.

P1000520_zpsikkr4wru.jpg

After sealing with Matt Varnish, an orange tone (Tamiya) was applied.  This was less opaque, note the straight edge created using a piece of paper as a mask.  This simulates rust and where the plates were stacked up in the yard!

P1000523_zpsollrgp8f.jpg

As the Pepsi logo, a wash using Ammo of Mig Track Wash was blended.

P1000526_zpsjvpemhp7.jpg

Lastly a mix of the Track Wash, various rust pigments and oil paints was speckled" onto the model.

P1000528_zpsrdbskjcz.jpg

As subtle panel line was was next.  I used mixed tones from the Ammo of Mig PLW range.

P1000533_zpsxzk8p2xd.jpg

I find that if you wipe away the excess then you can wipe it right out of the detail, even when fully dry but especially if the detail is relatively faint.  For that reason I prefer to clean the excess with a brush moistened in thinner.

P1000536_zps1fdltbyr.jpg

Next on the list was the dust effects.  I went for a layered approach here and built up the effect using different techniques.

First up was a base coat using tamiya acrylics but over a coat of the ever useful Scratch Effects chipping fluid.

P1000550_zpshssqiidz.jpg

This was chipped in the usual way but be careful as the paint is only a misty thin coat.

P1000568_zpsyz08eugb.jpg

The next layer was a thin coat of Ammo of Mig Kursk Soil Nature Effects, this is like a thick wash and its sprayed with the airbrush.

P1000571_zpscnf65vh0.jpg

Being enamel it can be blended and streaked, here on the fuselage simulated rain effects.

P1000584_zpski5sqnuv.jpg

P1000585_zps0xwjf4ya.jpg

Now for the big guns, pigments!  Various tones were applied using a soft brush.

P1000592_zpsvkpv6xbh.jpg

These are then fixed in place with white spirit.  The beauty of this is that you can still manipulate them wheras Pigment Fixer is a lot stronger.  Here I'm doing a bit of blending with a soft brush.

P1000599_zpslg8w70cp.jpg

The tail gets similar treatment as with the modified undercarriage it sits nose high and the back end gets quite close to the deck, plus its in the prop wash! (Note the 5F marking on the top of the tail, this was sprayed on again using the masking set).

P1000578_zpsxmuval3z.jpg

The wheels come from a resin set by Live Resin for the Humvee.  The tread is beautifully cast which is ideal for what I have planned!  First off after priming they got a coat of Ammo of Mig Rubber Tyres acrylic.

P1000563_zpspnoaegzp.jpg

A wash was made up using pigments and white spirit, this was then liberally applied making sure I got into all the recesses, especially the tread.

P1000601_zpspqnqjhwu.jpg

When dry it looks a right mess!

P1000603_zpsjnca5suo.jpg

However, one of the best blending tools is the Mk 1 digit!

P1000608_zps7nohcoc5.jpg

I found the PW 2800s really tedious, I tried counting how many parts there were but I gave up!  After a bath in the sonic cleaner the big bits were removed from the casting blocks and all had a coat with Aclad Black Primer.  The cylinders were then dry brushed with Mr Metal Steel.

P1000313_zpswddnrrms.jpg

The rocker covers were touched in with Ammo of Mig Black acrylic.

P1000323_zps3llim9yb.jpg

The casing had a coat of grey (I forget which) from GSI Creos.

P1000320_zpsvcqxxirv.jpg

When built up a grimy wash using Ammo of Mig Engine Grime and Fresh Engine and Fuel effects was applied.  Here I've done one so you can see the difference.

P1000435_zps3vxaa94k.jpg

The holes were drilled out so some cotton covered wire (from little cars) was glued in place.  Cotton covered wire is great as it captures the texture of the ignition leads whilst being really easy to paint, in this case with Vallejo Hull Red.

P1000541_zpsz54y9j7k.jpg

And here is the finished result.  A right pain but well worth it in the end.

P1000545_zpsuxqqq8nb.jpg

The Live Resin mini gun was made up, painted with Matt Black then dry brushed with Gun metal pigment.

P1000626_zps5wewofnw.jpg

As well as a spare wheel (weathered similarly to the undercarriage but authentically for a spare) I made up one of the WMIK spare rims.

P1000630_zpsjzcfuc83.jpg

And here's the gun in it's mounting.  In this photo you can see the jerry can set up, the shovel is further forward!  The spare wheels are on the other side.

P1000709_zpsc5cacb5n.jpg

This little bloke was rather fun.  It required a bit of clean up and I drilled out the eye sockets to make it look more realistic, It was primed in black then Mr Hobby Basic White misted on creating shadows.  The horns ere painted with Vallejo and Ammo of Mig acrylics and it was finished off with a wash using the excellent new hogwash from Alclad.  The finishing touch was the rivet and plate from plastic card and a bit of rust from the steel pin.

P1000721_zpshmlaauak.jpg

The oil drums were next up (Voyager resin jobs).  Again I relied heavily on the Scratch Effects and Matt Varnish between each layer.

Base coat was Alclad Steel (after a black primer coat).

P1000645_zps7e1mfdgt.jpg

Next layer, Red Brown from Tamiya in an opaque coat.

P1000648_zpsfu1y87gp.jpg

Chipping is very therapeutic...

P1000654_zpsfevjic2s.jpg

Next up a blue grey layer, this was chipped as well obviously.

P1000660_zpsyickddef.jpg

Now rust, Tamiya mixed to an orange tone was next.

P1000663_zps3raivy6h.jpg

Then a wash using Ammo of Mig Track Wash helps lift the detail.

P1000669_zpsljgxb3am.jpg

P1000672_zpstbdletzl.jpg

Last up small amounts of rust pigments were applied dry and worked into the surface.

P1000687_zpsig6pa8en.jpg

Now for the yellow one!

Yep, you guessed it, matt varnish, Scratch Effects the Tamiya paint.

P1000693_zps1px2drda.jpg

Followed by water and a brush, after 5 minutes you get this!

P1000696_zpsrtavymyq.jpg

A wash with Ammo of Mig Streaking Grime came next.

P1000699_zpsm05p8kjn.jpg

And then lastly to finish off, Ammo of Mig Fresh Oil and Fuel Effects was streaked on.

P1000702_zps5wp2sx4p.jpg

And that ladies and gentlemen is pretty much it.  Things that you may not have seen are the aerofoil struts added between the gun stub wings and the engines, that shovel, assymetric props, 0.50 cal for the upper gunner and various other little details.

I hope you enjoyed the work in progress shots and you found it useful.  I have to say this has been by far and away my favourite model to build and its a real shame its over.  However, I have an awesome idea for the next one!

There are a bunch of the photos of the finished thing in the Ready of Inspection section if you haven't seen it yet.

image.jpg2_zpsl1cjbefh.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsxg3dnqi6.jpg