Post Apocalyptic OV-10A Bronco

Haggis

Cheers chaps, I really appreciate the comments.

Now for the gun pods. The structural bits were painted on the sprue with Mr. Paint's Lemon Yellow Russian primer. Look how smooth that is, it's wonderful paint, the best ever.

P1320393_zpsspbtuys0.jpg

I used Warpigs thinner for the pin wash, it's great stuff.

P1320395_zpsept1amj5.jpg

The was was cleaned up with a moist (enamel thinner) brush.

P1320397_zpsjoaasomj.jpg

In order to simulate streaking grime, the was was drawn downwards and blended.

P1320401_zpsj5kdh1mv.jpg

Who knew, dry brushing pigment over Tamiya matt black works a treat! These are the M60s which need to go in during the construction.

P1320498_zpsndyq9rl7.jpg

After the dusty pigments, Ammo of Mig's Engine Oil was thinned slightly and flicked onto the parts to look like splashes.

P1320585_zpsvavbhpoe.jpg

More oil was added near the guns themselves.

P1320588_zps4v3sqb2q.jpg

Thanks Kev.

They look interesting, pre-thinned acrylics?

May well try some. I only use Tamiya acrylics, so a bit of variety may help. They look to spray very well indeed.

They're not acrylics in the same sense that Tamiya or Vallejo paints are. They're certainly not water-soluble (though acrylic does NOT equal water-soluble). But they are, hands-down, the best spraying paints I've ever tried. They're like Alclad for camouflage colours. Downsides include cost (they're expensive), availability (can be hard to get, especially outside Europe), and some dubious colour accuracy (but my exposure here has been limited).

Kev

I'll take easy spraying, pre thinned & quick drying over accuracy every time - life's too short to be stressing over RLM 71 or whatever!

Not cheap, but I'll certainly try some. Tamiya acrylics are great, but they do have some gaps & thinning can be a little bit tiresome sometimes.

First world problems, woe is me!

They are acrylics but not water soluble, I clean up using lacquer thinner. They maybe expensive, but a little goes along way.

Actually, Alex Glass of Uschi told me that they're just labelled as acrylics to get around some of the shipping laws pertaining to solvent-based paints. They smell and behave like lacquer-based paints to me.

Kev

Actually, Alex Glass of Uschi told me that they're just labelled as acrylics to get around some of the shipping laws pertaining to solvent-based paints. They smell and behave like lacquer-based paints to me.

Kev

I did wonder - there seems no definitive word anywhere of what they are made from, and they look & they seem to smell a little like lacquer based paints. It might go towards explaining the lack of retailers as well.

That's changed my mind completely, as I only use acrylics - the idea of using lacquers masquerading as acrylics does not appeal to me, as I can't be confident what's in the bottle that I'll end up breathing in.

Back to good old Tamiya for me!

What defines a paint is the pigments not the solvent; Mr. Paint has acrylic pigment. But I grant you that it is the norm to define acrylic as meaning water soluble.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. They're basically acrylic lacquers, like Tamiya's AS and TS ranges of rattle cans. That word acrylic is certainly misunderstood and misused.

Kev

I did wonder - there seems no definitive word anywhere of what they are made from, and they look & they seem to smell a little like lacquer based paints. It might go towards explaining the lack of retailers as well.

That's changed my mind completely, as I only use acrylics - the idea of using lacquers masquerading as acrylics does not appeal to me, as I can't be confident what's in the bottle that I'll end up breathing in.

Back to good old Tamiya for me!

As Jamie notes, whether a paint is considered an acrylic or not has nothing to do with the solvent it uses; it's about being made with a synthetic pigment. Mr. Paint is still technically an acrylic, but seems to use a mild lacquer solvent. If you've ever thinned Tamiya acrylics with Mr. Color Thinner, you're probably getting a similar result.

Kev