zoukei-mura He219 landing gear upgrade - a warning!

nmayhew

Guest Peterpools

Justin

Thanks for the info and photo, I was just about to upload the one you sent me. Judging form therphotos and description, the kit's gear look so much better and the way to go.

Peter

Strange. That AM set of gear doesn't look like mine. The MLG's I got have the same one-piece set as the kit gear, only the nose gear is two piece so you can swivel it. Note the AM gear is a brassier color than the main gear. The extra detail is sharper than what you show on yours, too. They must have changed providers.

post-39-0-75975600-1452996793_thumb.jpg

I guess Ernie's under contract and can't sell these direct? If he can, just buy from him.

The metal ones in my kit are solid steel. They look and feel great, but I think the plastic ones will be just as good.

kind of missing the point about my initial post / the thread: i do not have an issue with the metal ones *that come with the kit*; my issue is with the (supposed) upgrade set

hope that clarifies things

Hi Guys,

Having bought a UHU at the Z-M stand at Telford, I just went up to the stash and had a look see.

The add-ons are not by G-Factor but manufactured by MDC. VERY soft white metal, lots of pieces and some marginal detail improvements, such as some weld seams and raised data plates. But still very soft metal and this kit is going to be one heavy mother when it's assembled. I mean the kit box is heavy, full of plastic and about a thimble of air space! Probably the cheapest kit per Kilo you've ever bought!

The kit parts are (shoot me if I'm wrong) white bronze or a very hard version of white metal. Certainly not steel as someone else has said earlier. They don't have the detail but are cleanly cast and twice the rigidity of the add-ons. The welds and data plates can be added fairly easily. All axles are fixed, all oleos are integral, so no height adjustment or steering nose wheel. Live with it!

I think I wasted my money on that particular upgrade. But the rest of the stuff, the resin tyres, metal gun barrels, etc, plus the simply stunning basic kit, all money well spent. And as I got the kit at Show Price, I'm well happy.

Stick with the metal in the kit.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Bruce, what makes you think your upgrade set has been done by MDC? Can you provide a scan of the instruction leaflet showing this?

I wonder if ZM at some point switched from G-Factor to another manufacturer of this upgrade set?!?

Hi Thomas,

It's not what I think, it's what is written on the little box, actually on the folded paper instructions that line the clear plastic box. All Z-M accessories have a credit panel, generally with a small logo too if that manufacturer has one. The MDC name and Logo is there. The guns are by Masters of Poland. The lovely tires don't have a manufacturer in our alphabet, just Japanese characters, so I'm guessing they may be in house products. Very nice too. The etched parts are all Eduard.

By comparison, the white bronze undercarriage legs for my Ta-152's have the G-Factor name, the guns are again by MDC. Etched parts by Eduard.

I've always been impressed with Z-M stuff and their team are always a pleasure to talk to at Telford. However, the UHU undercarriage isn't up to their usual standard, I'll use the kit metal ones with some modifications. They won't take long at all to clean up.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby