Tamiya Spitfire Mk XVIe, Steps 47-51. Engine, firewall and frame.

Bump...ha ha!

:D

Thank you Shaka. I'd lost this thread so your bump is very timely.

Like many of us, modelling time has been in short supply lately but I have managed a little progress.

The engine is now sitting in the cradle and firewall combo.

tn_Engine%20cradle%20004_zps3hndyrr3.jpg

I would have liked to add more plumbing and wiring on the firewall and onto the engine but I was struggling with quality reference photos.

tn_Engine%20cradle%20003_zpspdjorekm.jpg

As the deadline for this GB looms inexorably closer I've chosen to accept the kit detail and be happy with what Tamiya give.

tn_Engine%20cradle%20011_zpslxipr2kd.jpg

You may notice that the large diameter pipes are painted green. It took a while to reach the decision to paint them this way as so many builds have beautiful copper pipes that give some lovely eye-catching colouring.

tn_Engine%20cradle%20007_zpsbeetcz9x.jpg

The issue for me is that most of the reference photos showing the copper pipes are of restored warbirds. I was n't sure that the RAF would have left those pipes unpainted when the aircraft was in service. I did chip the green paint a bit though just to suggest the copper ;)

There are a couple of wires I can run down the cradle arms to busy it all up further and the addition of the exhausts will be another area of interest so back with more when I get to that stage.

Cheers.

Engine looks fantastic! And I'm no expert, but I think you are correct on the pipes/copper colouring based on my Google-fu. I did it strictly to add visual interest to break up what would be a sea of black and green, without adding any detail.

The chipping to expose the copper is just a perfect solution that's probably much more accurate. Looking forward to the next update.

I had the same question about the pipes when I did mine. I mailed Edgar and he suggested the pipes were unpainted to aid with cooling.

Now this is a bit of a conundrum..I actually referenced the consolidated exchanges, pinned in the above thread in PDF form and did not find anything about this in that document.

I guess we'll never really know.

....nor in all honesty really care that much!!  One thing that years of research about the RAF in WW2 has taught me is that as soon as you find some evidence for "a" being like this, someone will find some contradictory evidence to disprove it!  Things changed so frequently and rapidly that it's impossible to be dogmatic about much!

Max

Good to see you back on the build!! Engine/motor looking good. I do a lot of auto engines, i can say the external parts do get scratched up with normal maintenance, scratched pipes/rocker covers/oil sumps would look "right" car or aircraft.

Don

• 3 weeks later...

Bump! Another slacker!

:D Ha ha, guilty as charged!

Sorry Shaka.

I confess that I have n't managed to work on the Spit for some time now and as the deadline looms I fear that this tribute to Edgar may not be finished. -_-

The reasons for my unexpected failure are twofold. Firstly, work has become extremely busy. I am spending quite a while away from home which makes modelling difficult. When I am home I find myself too tired to see straight enough to work on the project.

Secondly, I have bought an old MX-5 so I'm spending any warm, sunny days gadding about with the top down.

This has largely replaced any desire to work on the kit.

I'm sure it will get finished at some stage but probably not before the end of May.

Sincere apologies for letting you guys down but I hope you all understand. :unsure:

Cheers.

Good to hear that you're still alive and kicking Guy, you have been missed! So tell us about the MX5: Mk 1 with the flip up headlights (the best in my opinion!) or one of the later marques? I had a Mk 1, loved it to death and spent a fortune on bits and pieces, getting the tracking sorted etc etc., sticks to the road beautifully unless you hit a patch of spilled diesel on a damp day.....then watch out!! :)

Max

Thanks for being so understanding guys. Even now I'm typing this from the hotel restaurant. Sorry to hear of your MX-5's demise Max. I opted for the mk2 with the normal headlights. Slightly more curvy to my eyes.

The newest version looks superb but a bit rich for my blood just yet Shaka . Perhaps in a few years

Cheers

Edited by geedubelyer