weathering bare metal

NavyMech06

So I've been on the forum for a while now, mainly doing research, learning new techniques, widening my resources, and have seen my models go from paint bombed chunks of plastic to some fairly decent pieces. My most recent project has been the 1/48 Hasegawa P-38L and I'm doing the OD over bare metal. my question is, now that I've got a decently faded and mottled look on the OD green, the bare metal on the underside just looks laughable. I haven't really seen a whole lot on giving bare metal an oxidized, used look. I've been all over the ARC forums, LSM, Brittmodeler, and really can't find a whole lot. You can find plenty on giving the model a nice paneled or grained look, but not a whole lot on weathering it down.

Hi NavyMech06, good to hear that your modelling is improving and that you're enjoying things.

You don't mention whether you are weathering actual metal as in foil or a painted surface like AlcladII etc.

I'm going to go with painted finish as that is what the majority of us go with but if it is actual metal foil you may be able to use alternatives.

One way of giving the finish more of a used look is with oil paints. If you apply a thin wash of oil paint on top of your BMF when it dries it will dull the surface finish somewhat. Using a neutral shade like Payne's grey works well on silvers but for a more grimy appearance go with a brown shade like raw umber or burnt sienna.

Try putting tiny spots of neat oil paint randomly onto the surface of the model where you want the weathering to appear.

Then, use a wide paint brush moistened with thinner to drag the oil paint in the direction of the airflow to create light streaking.

The idea behind this is to remove pretty much all of the paint. All you should be left with is a slight sheen and perhaps a few light streaks of colour reaching back from panel lines or rivets. Try to keep the effect subtle. This is not exhaust streaking or some such. This would be a base for further weathering down the line.

Once this has cured you may wish to seal the finish with a clear coat. I'd probably go for more of a satin than a gloss but you could even go with a matt finish to make the metal seem really dull.

There are other techniques too so it pays to experiment. Have a play on an old model paint mule before using this on your P-38 but I think you'll enjoy it.

HTH

Cheers.

Edit 13th Jan, 2016. I also had a thought that you might be able to use Mr.MetalColor for your weathered metal finish. I used this paint on the exhaust section of an Su-27 a while ago and it worked pretty well.

I applied the Mr.MetalColor but left it unbuffed. This gave the area a naturally weathered look.

tn_15420008.jpg

HTH

Edited by geedubelyer