1/32 HPH Lavochkin La-7

petrov27

Thank you again for the positive feedback!

Well, I have completed the tiny-bits and brass-pinned them for painting and attachment after the whole thing is painted up. Last bits of etch applied to the front cowlings and the canopy all attached. There are several more etched "bands" that encircle the front fuselage to add but since they are done in nickel I am going to try to attach those after painting since they should remain a bright-ish bare metal color. Hard to believe but I think I am ready to start

I like the way you pin ALL small parts. I've started experimenting a little with it on a hit or miss basis but I need to consistently do all the small parts. I've always had trouble with small parts and pinning them will solve 98% of those problems.

Great job!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Petrov27,

AFAIK you have chosen Zelionkin's plane. I do not see, whether you installed also bomb racks on the underwing as cam be seen on the photo bellow:

156giap_zps0skngvx4.png

May be you will find another usefull info in this thread http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=4i1u23g6nmodt9nddn7qrqjil6&topic=2079.0 about Dolgushin's La-7. They both are from the 165 iap, both planes/camouflages shared a number of the common features.

Regards,

66misos

Hi 66misos,

Yes I still plan on doing the Zelionkin plane - thank you for the references and no I had not been aware of bomb racks. Have you seen a clearer reference as to what those would look like? Not sure my skills are such to scratch build them or no.

Regarding Zelonkin's plane, what are your thoughts on this profile below that I found online? Does it seem likely accurate to you? I was trying to follow it pretty closely so far as it seemed pretty good:

zelyonkin_zpspzoa127i.jpg

That red is just gorgeous ! Which paint is it?

Thx - it is Gunze Aqueous Gloss Red thinned with Mr Color leveling thinners. Went on great, I am finding that it is really easy to fingerprint though - I am giving it some days to hopefully harden up before masking to do the camo colors....

Edited by petrov27

Hi 66misos,

Yes I still plan on doing the Zelionkin plane - thank you for the references and no I had not been aware of bomb racks. Have you seen a clearer reference as to what those would look like? Not sure my skills are such to scratch build them or no.

Regarding Zelonkin's plane, what are your thoughts on this profile below that I found online? Does it seem likely accurate to you? I was trying to follow it pretty closely so far as it seemed pretty good:

Hi Petrov27,

here are some photos and drawing of the La-5x/La-7 bomb racks, taken from scalemodels.ru:

1390756146_srsr-rjo-rrrrrrrsrrsrrs.jpg

1390756061_rrrrrrrsrrsrrs.jpg

1390756033_1337701852_16.jpg

1390756024_181iap.jpg

And some info from http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=2079.0 regarding camo & marking of Dolgushin's La-7, applicable also for Zelionkin plane:

...Red engine cowling and spinner were introduced by Lieutenant-General A.S. Osipenko in July 1944 before the Bobruisk Operation as the recogniotion marks of the Air Corps. At the same time identification marks of the regiments were accepted. For the 156 iap they were alternating horizontal stripes on the tail fin and rudder - three red and three white...Belts tightening engine cowling - unpainted steel.

Red stars with the white outline on the standard positions. (Board) Number ... white with no border....

Yellow letter "E" on the tail - the honorary name of the 156th Regiment "Elbingsky." - here on Dolgushin's plane:

dolgushin-05-680x413.png

Western (Latin) "E" is in Cyrillic either "Э" or "E"

Western (Latin) "Z" is in Cyrillic "З", like our digit 3

The unit full name was "156-й иÑтребительный Ð­Ð»ÑŒÐ±Ð¸Ð½Ð³Ñкий ордена Суворова авиационный полк" e.g. "156th Elbingskij Air Fighter Regiment of the Suvorov Order".

So if the photo does not clearly show something else, I would rather paint there yellow "Э" or mirrored "E" on the tail, but not "З".

Red star on the tail is smaller than star on the fuselage (similarly to Dolgushin's plane):

Dolgushin03_zpsky9z5kyz.jpg

Circular La-7 logo in the tail red cap:

Dolg04_zpsbvpikctx.jpg

Regarding camouflage colors, they were pretty dark. Dark grey AMT-12 was almost like bleached black (it replaced black from previous black-green camo)... So do not overdo "scale effect".

Nice discussion and paint chips are at http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234933995-vvs-colours-in-the-great-patriotic-war/page-5

best02_zpsee4f6ba5.jpg

Hope it helps.

Regards,

66misos

Edited by 66misos

Hi 66misos - that is great information - thank you! I will see what I can do about adding bomb racks....

You mention:

Red stars with the white outline on the standard positions.

Just a white outline on the stars with no narrow red outline outside of that? Except on the tail star? The one pic of the aircraft I cannot make out that narrow red outline on the fuselage star, but most drawings/profiles show all of the stars on La-7 to have narrow red outline  outside of the thicker white....

Thanks again!

Hi Patrick,

Thick white and thin red outline on the red stars were standad given by order since summer 1943. But regarding this particular Zelionkin plane there seems to be exception -thin red outline on the fuselage star is neither visible on the photo nor it is on the profile above. So in this case I would go without thin red outline on the fuselage star. And that white outline looks a bit thicker than standard.

Regards,

66misos

Thanks again 66misos - I will go with no border on the fuselage stars

One final question - do you have any thoughts on the La-7 logos for the engine cowl and tail cap? Not sure what color the logo is - the below is about the best picture I have found - if you had seen a larger better quality picture of the logo anywhere? I had thought maybe the logo was a simple white circle with the La-7 text inside also in white based on a museum example I have pics of, but the pic below the logo does not look white...

trusov_zpsylaotl8k.jpg