1/32 HPH Lavochkin La-7

petrov27

Thanks again gents for the feedback! Not a whole lot to show for the last week - spent a crazy amount of time trying to get a good fit of the canopy, also continue to fill and fix the top front fuselage area - that really has been a problem. With all the sanding of the resin it has uncovered bubbles and small voids that need filling, so its fill, sand, find another pock-mark, fill sand repeat....

Wheel wells were kind of a mess for me; ended up with a bunch of open areas to fill - not entirely sure what I did wrong with the build or maybe that is just the way they are. Filled what I could and added some duct pipes that were fairly prominent

003_zpsomjzq2p6.jpg

Did I bunch of rescribing and re-adding of rivet details that I sanded away. Applied a coat of Mr Surfacer - first time I have ever used that product and wow I am happy with that - went on like a dream. Some of my added rivet work is too prominent so I need to figure that out, also have several problem areas to sand and fill:

009_zpsi0iapswt.jpg

Edited by petrov27

Thanks again gents for the feedback! Not a whole lot to show for the last week - spent a crazy amount of time trying to get a good fit of the canopy, also continue to fill and fix the top front fuselage area - that really has been a problem. With all the sanding of the resin it has uncovered bubbles and small voids that need filling, so its fill, sand, find another pock-mark, fill sand repeat....

Sounds very familiar, but it will be worth it in the end.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Hi petrov27,

I do not know whether you know about that little tube (Venturi?) between the main landing gear doors:

k152_02.jpg

Modellers usually forget it, bacause it is hidden behind open landing gear doors.

Very nice work. And also camouflage selection.

Regards,

66misos

Hi petrov27,

I do not know whether you know about that little tube (Venturi?) between the main landing gear doors:

k152_02.jpg

Modellers usually forget it, bacause it is hidden behind open landing gear doors.

Regards,

66misos

I have the kit as well, and did not know about this small venturi between the gear doors. Thanks and noted! 

This is looking mighty fine Petrov. With that paint scheme you have a showstopper in your hands! 

I didn't expect an easy build when I started the HpH Me410 but i'm still surprised about the amount of work that has to be done to get the best out of it. Glad I'm not the only one experiencing that with Hph kits. I also have the Fw189 lying around, that's gonna be an even harder build to pull of. The amount of details and parts is mind blowing really. I'll do something nice and easy first after finishing the Me410....... :innocent: 

Hi petrov27,

k152_02.jpg

Regards,

66misos

66misos, great and highly constructive comment, love it ! Thanks.

Cheers

M.

• 1 month later...

Hi petrov27,

Regards,

66misos

Hiya 66misos - yep that is an easy detail to miss - HPH does give a part for the venturi though, I just need to remember to install it! :)

Thanks for the other positive comments!

Some updates:

-much of the raised detail on the front fuselage is provided in etch that you need to shape to get it on the round cross section fuselage. This went OK except I totally messed up one assembly for the exhaust flap and shroud (each made of three etched bits that need to be folded and curved) when trying to fit it to the fuselage.  This took the wind outta my sails for a few weeks but I am figuring out a fix. The "good" side pic is below - this took quite a lot of farting around to get it to fit correct and sit nice on the fuse sides.

-also spent quite a bit of time trying to get the clear canopies to fit better - they are not yet glued but hopefully that work will pay off when I do.

-on that note I tried to use the supplied vinyl masks on the canopy but the pieces all seemed too small leaving big gaps still to cover. I drew up new ones and cut on my Silhouette - still not perfect but not bad

-also have the gear doors built up - nothing too crazy there just a resin part fitted to a brass etch outer cover for each door....

009_zpskzig16bx.jpg

013_zps11zjizw9.jpg

017_zpslm94nizr.jpg

005_zpsyfioso0k.jpg

"I drew up new ones and cut on my Silhouette"

Please explain. What is this?

Great project! I am tempted to tackle a HPH kit but I'm torn between the IL-28, MiG-15 and La-7. Your build will help me to decide.

"I drew up new ones and cut on my Silhouette"

Please explain. What is this?

Hiya - it is a small craft cutter that you can use to make masks from vinyl and other materials (I am using the sheets of mask material from Tamiya) using software on your computer - it is like a printer that cuts instead of prints basically...

Here is a review:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1186