Tamiya A6M2B Zero

P-51D Man

Ok I added some detail to the interior and so far it looks good. At least I think. But before I post the pics I want to know from all of you out there how you assemble the parts like to the cockpit and side of the aircraft bulkheads. Do you attach before painting, which makes painting a  heck of alot easier or do you attach them after painting and hope you get a good part to part seal or adheasion?  I would like to know this. Also I think I really need to get a finer tiped paint brush. Any recomendations on what would be good for the small details.

IMGP0316_zpsxeg6f6ut.jpg

P-51D-

I am also building this kit, and the amount of detail is astounding. But just go slow, and test fit everything before gluing. I usually prepaint all the small parts before removing them from the sprues, and then touching them up later if I have to, but that's just me. I just cut up the sprues (with a wire cutter) with the part numbers still attached if possible. I also remove and file as many attachment points from the parts as possible before I paint. Then I decide which color I'm going to paint, and  I usually stick them into blu-tak for the painting process.

One thing I found with all these small parts: I usually tape or hold the part before cutting, so it doesn't fly across the room!

Hope that helps! Looking good so far!

Tom

What does one do when the weather is bitterly cold and snowy in St. Louis? Work on models....at least I do..... so here are the pics of what got done.

First the rear cockpit wall with seat attached.

IMGP0328%20-%20Copy_zpssdanwzeb.jpg

cockpit floor and side glued.

IMGP0329%20-%20Copy_zpsfmsjusyf.jpg

You can hardly see the gun doors glued into place..

IMGP0343_zpsk0oynpgu.jpg

Some photoetched and plastic parts glued onto the bottom of the wing.IMGP0340%20-%20Copy_zps1agcg2mm.jpg

Instrument panel..

IMGP0330%20-%20Copy_zpseapmjmwc.jpg

That is it for now. Thanks for looking and comments and suggestions always welcomed. 

P-51D-

I am also building this kit, and the amount of detail is astounding. But just go slow, and test fit everything before gluing. I usually prepaint all the small parts before removing them from the sprues, and then touching them up later if I have to, but that's just me. I just cut up the sprues (with a wire cutter) with the part numbers still attached if possible. I also remove and file as many attachment points from the parts as possible before I paint. Then I decide which color I'm going to paint, and  I usually stick them into blu-tak for the painting process.

One thing I found with all these small parts: I usually tape or hold the part before cutting, so it doesn't fly across the room!

Hope that helps! Looking good so far!

Tom

Thank you for your words. I thought about doing it that way also. I have to do something for the seatbelts though. I do not like what the kit supplies.  And photo etch parts have not been kind to me. LOL.

Yes, those belts are not so hot. I dry brushed mine to tint them a little, and used them, but they are probably the weakest part of my build. There are some nice options out there to buy, but almost all of them have PE buckles, so there you go. It takes a bit to get used to.

Tom

Yes, those belts are not so hot. I dry brushed mine to tint them a little, and used them, but they are probably the weakest part of my build. There are some nice options out there to buy, but almost all of them have PE buckles, so there you go. It takes a bit to get used to.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I am going to look into that. There is other parts of the aircraft I can work on waiting for me to resolve the seat belt issue.

Cool seeing another Zeke coming alive....i love the Tamiya 1:32 Zekes...tjey are a joy to build....

I like what i see as younand Tom arendoing them....

So keem it coming.

/Mal

I will keep it coming. Also just ordered photo etch seat belts for my bird. It will be a lot easier going this route than trying to deal with what was in the kit.

• 2 months later...

Yeah it has been way too long on working on this. So I figure to get more work done before the Easter company arrives and I have to put the model away until it is over. Be back at it the day after Easter. This kit is wonderful to put together.

I'm building the Tamiya A6M5 right now myself.

I built up the entire cockpit than airbrushed it XF-71 interior green and than hit the smaller colors with a brush, no problem. I also found the seat belt material inferior but used them.

20160217_194108.jpg

Some of the Wire and PE hinges can be a PITA! Take your time and be patient. You will need 3 hands for some of it! I created fixtures out of silly putty and blue-tack to hold parts down.

Edited by toadwbg

IMGP0348_zpsmukpq1xb.jpg

Photos show the top of the wings painted green. I decided to keep everything under the wings XF-71. Anyway wont be able to see much of it when it is all together.

Other photo shows the bottom of the wing. I had difficult time with the gear doors. I should have waited to put them on later. But I will be able to buff it out and stuff.