Revell 1/32 for 2016

Aerobat

Here we go, we get a new tooled kit and everyone questions why, if you don't want it, don't buy it or build it. You guys complain about the high price of kits, wouldn't you be happy that a company is releasing new stuff, and with revell you know the price tag will be great. Dear god they make two of the better bf and spit kits, and you can get one for less then 30 bucks.

I'm pumped about a 1/32 F-18, because it will be affordable and not triple digits like the academy variant. Besides not everyone wants to build WW2 stuff, or stuff with props.

Also with a new tool 262, you know once again with revell that it will be affordable.

There are some pretty cool 1/32 prop subjects that are coming down the pipe line, so just because it didn't come in this release doesn't it mean it won't.

From Revell's perspective - Trumpeter kits don't make any money for Revell - so if they believe there's a market to be had you can hardly blame them for choosing those subjects.

Of course we modellers always want something new - that's human nature - but not necessarily what makes profits for model manufacturers.

Haven't we already got more than enough new subjects coming through at the moment to be happy - and busy building our way through existing stashes?

Iain

... Here we go, we get a new tooled kit and everyone questions why, if you don't want it, don't buy it or build it. You guys complain about the high price of kits, wouldn't you be happy that a company is releasing new stuff, and with revell you know the price tag will be great. Dear god they make two of the better bf and spit kits, and you can get one for less then 30 bucks ...

I understand your frustration ... I really do ... We should all be very grateful that someone is willing to pump out any new tooled 1/32 kit of any description. It's just that ... in recent years the bar has been raised a LOT higher than in those gone by - expectations are higher too.

I don't question why we're getting a new tooled kit ... neither has anyone else, really ... what we're questioning - is a choice of subject matter that 1) has been done before, rather recently and 2) has been done well.

I can't speak for anyone else out there - But in this day and age $80-120 (AUD) for a single prop new tool is not very unrealistic - so I certainly have no complaints about pricing.

I'm sure that the Revell price tag will be more than satisfactory where you are from ... Here - it's just as comparable (more often than not) with other manufacturers - and in some cases (not most, grant you) it's worse.

As for the recent Bf.109G-6 and G-10 Erla kits ... they're certainly not 'better' than those already on the market (although lord know's they had the opportunity to make it so!) ... they are on-par comparable with the Hasegawa and the Trumpeter offerings. All three have their fair share of errors and all three require AM to fix - if possible at all. With the Spitfire Mk.IIa, the new tooled offering is actually a deal less accurate in outline/dimension than the previous Revell/Hasegawa hybrid.

In the end we all know that Revell can do what they please ... It's just that if they're going to take that approach, why bother asking the general public what they want through voting forums and the like (I'm quite sure neither of the two subjects that they've selected rated very highly)

If what they make is good enough for you, fine - I'm happy for you ... but we all reserve the right to comment/assess/analyse.

Food for thought, though ... The fact that a rather large amount of people are doing so in the negative (Rather the opposite in most cases) - should give a good indication that somethings not that special?!

Rog :)

To some Revell are reinventing the wheel, doing subjects already covered by China, and I see their point. The old argument that Trumpeter models don't make a profit for Revell does hold water here and there is no reason to suspect that the Revell F/A-18 won't be superior to the slightly bland Trumpeter kit, and a precursor to the (arguably prettier) F striker and G jammng platform.

I'll pass but others will enjoy.

The American influence and change of character from Revell of Germany (Europe) to somewhere between the mid-Atlantic and planet Naboo has obviously left some - hoping for a big Dornier 17 etc - feeling deprived. However, I agree with those who say we're actually very lucky.

A new Me 262 B is a great idea, and maybe Revell can make a more accurate cockpit and wheel well arrangement than Trumpeter. The Trumpeter tub attachment lugs, engines that don't quite fit and acned airframe are weak points of the Chinese kit, although building the Me 262 A-1a has been quite a pleasure. And I ***love*** rubber tyres. Pity Revell no longer does these the way they used to, but they could be kind and mould tyres and hubs as separate items for easier painting.

However, I do sense a slight unease out there; as if Gripen, Rafale, Draken etc are slipping away forever.

Tony

One thing will definitely be better with Revell's big '262 and Super Hoe, compared to Trumpy's efforts, at least in my neck of the wood: The availability. While I may or more likely may not get any of the Chinese one's easily in my local dedicated hobby shop, I'm very likely to get both by Revell in any place that carries a basic stock of modelling material. Can't speak for RoW, though I'm pretty certain it'll be similar for most of Europe, and may not be an issue if you (have to) order most stuff online, anyways, but kits already done by Trumpeter and other manufacturers are IMHO not really a competition for Revell, not because of the quality, but because the majority of Revell's customers simply buy what's on the shelf in the next store, peaks their interest and is within their budget.

Edited by KOTR

I'd have to get one and build it as my Bestefar's (Grandfather's) crew-cab combi that I remember so well, even though I was only 3 when he had it. Great memories. It was red, with the tent-thing on the back like the one on the right-hand side of the page, 4th from bottom.

Bestefar ? Are you of scandinavian descent ?

Michael, i would happen to know YOUR FAVORITE in stead of a Me262 or F18E........................DRAKEN, DRAKEN, DRAKEN, DRAKEN, etc etc etc.......... :innocent:

Hm, let me think about it...

...I think, I'd be super happy if Revell releases a large scale Draken... :doh:

Edited by KOTR

Michael, i would happen to know YOUR FAVORITE in stead of a Me262 or F18E........................DRAKEN, DRAKEN, DRAKEN, DRAKEN, etc etc etc.......... :innocent:

He's not the only one. I'd buy three the day one was released and build at least one within two weeks.

Tony