LSP_Typhoonattack

Revell 1:144 767 - Delta Airlines

The reason there's a flattened (vs. indented) area there is that the stab pivots up and down.  If it were a curve like the rest of the fuselage there would be huge gaps around the root of the stab when it moved.  The trapezoidal shaped part moves with the stab, but the rest of the stab moves against the side of the fuselage.

Yep I know the stab is articulated somewhat, and that does certainly account for the flattened area, Revell just got carried away it seems. The kit stabs make no attempt whatsoever to recreate the trapezoidal gizmos you refer to, but I can easily fake them up with some plastic sheet.

I somewhat arbitrarily decided to add .100 in length to the cowls, to more faithfully capture the "feel" of the GE's normally associated with these 767's, but had no .100 sheets, so opted for .080 & .020 sandwiched together instead. Once these are thoroughly dry, I'll trim and sand to shape, then putty as needed, probably tomorrow.

3zX9OL.jpg

Interesting that you are dealing with the cowls like that. I always wondered how people got rid of the inner seams on the engines. And seeing you are lengthening  the engines for the 300ER variant. That is a good kit. Good luck with you.

If you do some research you'll find localised supersonic airflow is a real thing and before computised fluid dynamics, aerodynamic designers used the area rule to eliminate the shockwaves it caused. Before it was understood, the buffet encountered at Mach numbers above about .8 were thought to be indicative of the approaching wall of death called "the sound barrier "..basically speaking, as air accelerates around curved surfaces, it approaches Mach 1 even though the aircraft is traveling much slower, and a small supersonic shockwave is caused. This is most noticeable around wings and tail surfaces. The shockwaves can cause vibrations and loss of control effectiveness

Can not wait to see the finished model and being Delta airlines that means a bare metal belly. Are you going to use Alclad for that. I have used it and if the model is prepared properly you will end up with a realistic finish. Good luck with your model and keep us posted.