RNZAF T-6 Harvard Mk.II - Red Checkers display team

seiran01

There's not much more I can show of this kit in progress as I've just finished basic painting, however there is a fair bit of touch-up to do plus decals.  This is Kittyhawk's T-6 kit built 98% OOB (am waiting for the AMS corrected prop blades to arrive), using the gorgeous decals from Ventura for the later Red Checkers scheme. The earlier schemes featured a silver fern in the roundels and this later scheme has the kiwi roundel with a darker red-orange and light gull grey in place of aluminum. Quite a nice looking bird!

So this build... This was supposed to be a quick build, but then this kit did to me what every other kittyhawk kit has done - enrage me to the point of wanting to throw it against the wall and then beat the remains with whichever of my guitars was closest within reach. I think I've gone through a full tube each of perfect putty and tamiya white putty on this build.

I have chosen to ignore the too-far-inward landing gear mounting stubs, but I did use Alley Cat's corrected rear canopy part as the kit part is so short that even my "forget it, close enough" eyes couldn't let that one slide. The replacement canopy is a HUGE improvement and doesn't add much to the overall construction time if you make straight cuts.

The gull grey is a mixture of 2 parts Tamiya xf19 sky grey to one part x2 gloss white, and the tangerine is a mixture of three Vallejo colours.

Hope you like it, right now I'm feeling like it's been worth every minute of frustration! :)

C7C86DCF-A2CE-4E30-83AB-012B9013175E_zps

77C45BCE-6B03-4C3A-81F6-ED64BE201154_zps

Indeed, great looking start.     Ive even contemplated making a Honda Aeroshell  acrobatic team T-6:

These guys were at Osh Kosh 2015 this year, and were bar none the BEST acrobatic demo team there.......................they put on a night show with full lights including illuminated cowls that had to be seen to be believed....................it was UNREAL.

Great work so far on the T6...........will definitely follow along with this one! 

Thanks guys.  Spent a lot of time on this thing today and completed painting (need to do the landing lights and sliding canopy frames still). Have finished decalling the upper wings and one side. The red checker decals have been a pain to get on and are responding very slowly to solvaset, i've ended up making a lot of long cuts to help the things settle down around the curves and they're nearly settled down finally.  Not perfect, but it looks great to my eyes!

5B5C8610-3B2E-4117-AD30-9451111A7025_zps