1/16 Abrams M1A1 Thunder Run: Finishing Turret Upgrades

Uncarina

That looks great! I just did a straight repaint of the M1A2 as an Australian M1A1 as a birthday gift for my son.

This is whetting my appetite for the upcoming Trumpeter 1/16 release!

Greg, thanks! Also, thanks again for catching the gun details and CARC sand color. I have a bottle of Model Master Sand FS 33531 and mixed Tamiya XF-55, white, red, and yellow to match. I'm working on the smoke grenade launchers now. Hope your son likes your gift!

He has me building one of these, like I needed a new wrinkle in my modeling spectrum!

Barry

Barry, mixing it up is always good! I'm looking forward to seeing your build, and taking notes on your internal upgrades.

Tom ..

Looking very good.. coming along impressively.

:clap2: :goodjob:

MARU, thank you! I always appreciate your support.

Cheers, Tom

Repositioned and modified the grenade launchers. This took a surprising amount of work to make them more accurate in shape and detail. Next: detailing the coaxial machine gun and a few more details, then painting the turret. Comments welcome!

Cheers, Tom

DSC02533_zpshrxf4im3.jpg

DSC02542_zpsyyt4s9ra.jpg

DSC02543_zpshvtcyl4y.jpg

DSC02541_zpsoudlqeuw.jpg

Edited by Uncarina

• 2 weeks later...

Added more details to the turret, including a scratchbuilt 120mm ammo container and the smoke grenades. I've added almost all of the markings for the turret, except for an American flag on the left side of the main gun. Still more to do, including scratchbuilding a jerrycan rack for the left side and the road wheels on the side and top of the turret.

Cheers,  Tom

DSC02547_zpsdd9a6olg.jpg

DSC02549_zps2lpsumwt.jpg

DSC02550_zpsh4urd9vm.jpg

DSC02554_zpsgwdmahrd.jpg

DSC02551_zpslcx70pkk.jpg

DSC02556_zpspbcnyecp.jpg

Blimey Tom,,14lbs... that's a Stone... in weight of course ... :mental:

heavy then... :evil_laugh:

It's a TANK! :rofl:

I'm guessing scale weight should be around 8,500 lbs? Where are you going to display that; it would require less than 2 sq ft but some serious structural reinforcement. :coolio:

Barry

Edited by Barry

Barry, MARU,

Not sure! It might be allowed out in public on good behavior, particularly during viewings of tank-related movies like "Fury"! I just added the spare wheels and drive wheel to the turret; now just have to finish up the left side, then on to the hull!

Cheers, Tom

Darren,

Thank you very much! I was really pleased with how the Rustoleum application turned out, and it only took about five minutes to apply after masking. I was concerned since I've never seen it used in 1/16 scale builds, but I believe it looks better in this scale than 1/35.

Cheers, Tom