1/16 Abrams M1A1 Thunder Run: Finishing Turret Upgrades

Uncarina

As a SECOND entry into the 1/16 armor realm, I have the excellent Heng Long 1/16 Abrams M1A2. This has outstanding detail and a high level of accuracy, with only a few concessions to it's RC functionality:

tnSOsXn.jpg

Of course I cannot leave well enough alone. In addition to removing molded shortcuts like handles, wires, etc, I will be adding the anti-skid texture, and the biggy: a backdate to the M1A1HC "All Bout Da Bones" Iraq 2003.

Cheers, Tom

Edited by Uncarina

I've upgraded the basic kit with metal pivot arms, springs, wheels, idlers, sprockets, and tracks (with rubber pads), and added a 360 degree rotation to the turret. My modifications so far:

Drilled lightening holes in the sprockets:

DSC02384_zpsqgbvxqly.jpg

Replace molded wires on the front deck:

DSC02397_zpslegbehwr.jpg

DSC02402_zpsgca8wg5p.jpg

Added casting numbers to the turret with shaved sprue:

DSC02401_zps8p2y0pyw.jpg

And to the rear deck:

DSC02407_zpsbrtxjgnj.jpg

And made a start on biggest modification, a scratchbuilt cupola (shown with a 1/35 counterpart):

DSC02409_zpsof61miae.jpg

Cheers, and Happy Holidays,  Tom

Excellent, I'll be watching. :thumbsup:

I have been wondering if the Heng Long offering was a good starting point for a large scale Abrams as it is the only game I have found.

Barry

Barry, this is totally worth it! It rivals the Tamiya kits for accuracy, and can be found for half the price of their static 1/16 tanks.

Wowzers! That's going to be one mean machine when you're finished, Tom! :punk:

John

Thanks, John! It sure is big and fun!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks, Martin!

Awesome! I was talking tanks with Paul the other day and the subject of the Abrams came up...

I was pining for a 2A6M(Can) and the talk turned to these. With all the love the Leo has been getting with kit makers lately, it's good to see someone doing an Abrams.

Ernie, some parts of this build are stretching my limits: I've done a fair amount of scratchbuilding but nothing like a 1/16 commanders station! At the same time I highly recommend this kind of modeling therapy. Glad I listened to that couple sitting on my shoulder!

Cheers, Tom

Impressive....looks the part! :thumbsup:

I was thinking about having a go at an M1A2 SEP V2. I really like the Remote Weapons Station. It would require a ton of scratch building though.

Barry

Edited by Barry