Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk IA.... Yet another question 12/28

Barry

Hi Barry;

You might already have this covered, but Edgar once told me that Battle of Britain Spits would almost certainly have the metal seat fitted as opposed to the composite seat...so it will need to be painted green not the reddish brown colour.

Which particular aircraft a you planning to do?

Best regards;
Steve

Hi Barry;

You might already have this covered, but Edgar once told me that Battle of Britain Spits would almost certainly have the metal seat fitted as opposed to the composite seat...so it will need to be painted green not the reddish brown colour.

Which particular aircraft a you planning to do?

Best regards;

Steve

"Battle of Britian Spitfire" is a broad term, and too general to determine which seat (amongst other changes) would be appropriate.  According to Edgar's research, plastic (i.e. the redbrown seat) were approved for use from May14th, 1940.  So if your "BoB Spit" was built after that date, then it could have had a plastic seat, but before that date, it would seem a metal seat is appropriate.

Doug

Quite correct Doug, I should have been more specific, so thank you for the reminder of the date. It would be very helpful to know which particular airframe Barry is building. That could determine a whole host of factors which might need considered for the build. Apparently, no seat armour before June 1940, but it was rushed into service after that date. I imagine that there must have been quite a few Spitfires using the older hand pump undercarriage retraction as well during that period too.

Best regards;

Steve

My plan is/was to us one of the markings in the kit. I kind of fancy the black/white IFF scheme but not sure it was still being used during the early BOB time frame.

Barry

The night* and white underside scheme was in use from 1938 until June 1940.

How quickly existing aircraft were repainted to Sky was likely a matter of weeks rather than overnight, allowing for the new colour to be distributed and confusions over Sky Blue and Sky Grey to be settled.

It occurs to me that we really need an Edgar Brooks Memorial Archive where the results of all his original research could be collated, preserved and perhaps even added to. As it is, loads of his nuggets of information are salted away in forum posts randomly scattered.

* The black colour would actually be 'night', a mix of Carbon Black with Ultramarine pigment added for durability but it should not look blue-ish.

A very dark grey would be more suitable for scale models

Edited by Chek

It occurs to me that we really need an Edgar Brooks Memorial Archive where the results of all his original research could be collated, preserved and perhaps even added to. As it is, loads of his nuggets of information are salted away in forum posts randomly scattered

I had wondered who would rise to the mantel of "Resident Spitfire Aficionado" not meaning that one can or should be able to replace someone like Edgar.

I like your suggestion! :thumbsup:

Barry

• 2 weeks later...