Barry

Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk IA, UPDATE 01/31/16

Quick update,

Working on the horizontal stabilizers and elevators as planned. Over all the fit is not too bad all things (kit age) considered.  I did a lot of filing and fitting between the stabilizers and the fuselage but otherwise things were going well until I compared the leading edges of the elevators to their respective stabilizers and to each other. :crying:

P1100398A_zpsumvm1j5d.jpg

The starboard elevator or stabilizer is wrong “somehow†pictures tell the story. Both measure out very close to the port pieces, no obvious answer. :hmmm:

P1100400A_zpslo6wbjlp.jpg

The quick fix would be to file stab and elevator along their common angular outboard edges. However, if I do so the leading edges of each moves in opposite directions causing a miss match between them. I believe my approach will be to add to the inboard most edge(s) of the starboard elevator though it will then be a little longer than the port elevator. :shrug:

P1100403_zpscva1fx4j.jpg

I have split the starboard stabilizer back apart and have reassembled it reducing the miss match by about 75% then added a piece of .015 plastic to the inboard edge of the elevator. Once glue dries I will refit both and I "think" it will work out.  :frantic:

TAFN,

Barry

Hi Barry, this is another challenge to cope with on your build but I'm confident that you'll beat it.

Is the port horizontal tailplane shorter in chord than the starboard one? The first image seems to suggest that is the case.

The last image of your update also appears to show the difference. I don't think it helps with the elevator issue but it might be one more thing to be aware of...

I'm pulling for you on this one. Keep on keepin' on.

Cheers.

Barry,

I think with your patience and resilience your build will turn out just so right.

I guess the glitches and little foibles  that the kit has thrown at you has challenged your

modeling methods and  techniques and I think you have held  fast ..Good work as I look at it.

Go for it.. you can correct the mistakes that the kits has shown..those flaws ..I think you will manage to

beat them into submission; .keep going MY friend. :thumbsup:

Its AWESOME work so far. :wub:

I admire anyone willing to tackle what was clearly meant to be a toy and turn it into an accurate representation.  These kits, the older ones at least, are great starts but need a lot of additional work.  Great job!

I admire anyone willing to tackle what was clearly meant to be a toy and turn it into an accurate representation.  These kits, the older ones at least, are great starts but need a lot of additional work.  Great job!

Hi SciFi,

I like to think of it as an opportunity to see if I have actually learned anything in my 50+years of modeling.

Thanks,

Barry

Thanks for all the kind comments guys.

I have resolved the horizontal stabilizer and elevator fit issues and have been working on the fit of the engine cowlings. Yes they are just as challenging as the others have proven to be! :frantic:

Maybe some photos later in the week business travel last week cut into my modeling time. :fight:

Cheers,

Barry

Barry .... seeing your builds I think you are a competent excellent modeler.and no matter how many years one does something,you are always learning.

:thumbsup:

Thank you sir! You are absolutely right when it comes to learning. 

Barry

Quick up date.

Cowlings mastered, fit turned out pretty good after a lot of filing and shimming.

I have made the initial spinner fit up. How does the positioning of the spinner and contour look with respect to the nose cowls?

Thanks for looking!!

Barry

P1190359_zpsbhgfnc7h.jpg
P1190357_zpsuybopvqi.jpg
P1190358_zpslnwespmg.jpg
P1190368_zpsgatii7yb.jpg
P1190369_zpsx5szjgzv.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Hi Barry

"The spinner and contour look with respect to the nose cowls " lloks just fine on my end/ Nice work figuring out a "quick" for the elevator fit issue as well.

Keep 'em coming :popcorn:
Peter