Spitfire IIa of 1690 BDTF: finished 3 March (RIP)

mozart

I've fitted all the control surfaces, hopefully positioned to show that the pilot has received a red when about to land and is just starting to pull up to starboard!  She's not too far off a coat of primer now.  Geedubelyer is kindly sending me a pair of flap actuators from his Tamiya kit to save my scratch building efforts, thanks a lot Guy!!

DSCN9506_zps6ywmwzho.jpg

DSCN9502_zps8f6pditn.jpg

DSCN9500_zpsil93otrd.jpg

Now, the question of simulating a spinning prop.  I'm afraid for me a still prop just doesn't do it for a plane in flight, so the real options are the clear disc or Prop Blurs....I'm going with the latter.  I know they're not to everybody's liking but well done I think they're pretty convincing.
Max
Edited by mozart

Yes Guy and Harv, it's possible that the prop blur painting could be important in the final look of the plane. I'm planning to build up several thin layers of dark grey, fading from root to tip but I've got to be careful because the frets are so fine and could be easily clogged by paint, especially with the primer.

Max

Thanks Kev, I've sanded the propeller stub to as thin a profile as I dare with the blade glued in place then primed it with literally one quick pass of Tamiya fine primer per side.....no clogging! I'm looking forward to the top coats tomorrow, not forgetting the yellow tip of course.

Max

I'll be interested to see how your prop blurs turn out.  I've tried things like clear discs before, but my current preferred option is just to ignore the whole thing, remove the blades and fill/sand the blade locations, leaving the "prop blur" to be supplied by the viewer's imagination. 

[Edit for typo]

Edited by MikeC

OK, "results" after the first session!  After priming I mixed a solution of Mr Hobby RLM 66 Black Grey 1:6 and did a complete coverage as my base colour.  When dry I added 3 drops of RLM 74 Dark Grey to the solution in the paint cup and lightly sprayed from the base toward the tip but stopping short of the tip, then to this solution I added a little Mr H black and repeated the process, gradually building up the darkness.  Then I lightly sprayed the forward and rear edges of the blur with a slightly diluted Mr H RLM76, Light Blue.  Finally the tip with Mr H Yellow:

DSCN9520_zpsoav3tl9a.jpg

DSCN9518_zpscpdixbaw.jpg

I think I can afford to go a little darker up the centre but apart from that I'm inclined to leave it as is.  As is often the case, the real thing looks better than the pictures!! :)

Max

Ok, I'm fast approaching the painting stage. Looking at the picture on p1 I'm assuming by this stage in the war the camouflage would have been dark green, ocean grey upper parts and medium sea grey lower. I'm an acrylic user, happy with Vallejo, Tamiya or Mr Hobby/GS paints but from my research to date nobody actually makes an ocean grey. Has anyone any thoughts, experiences, recommendations about ocean grey or a near substitute....German grey for instance?

Max