Spitfire IIa of 1690 BDTF: finished 3 March (RIP)

mozart

She's starting to look quite Spitfire-ish, but what happens in those "holes" inboard of the flaps?  My plane will have the flaps lowered, were there really gaping gaps on the real plane? 

DSCN9490_zpsu2ekfp18.jpg

The holes on the upper wings have been cut out where the flap mechanism rises when the flaps are lowered.  The gun ports have been blocked using some stretched sprue.  I'm a little concerned about some "fat" areas at the base of each wing root by the fuselage, I think this was one area that Iain gave the sanding treatment to on his Spitfire and I can see why:

DSCN9488_zpsl7w7gtej.jpg

DSCN9487_zpsrnsdpi8p.jpg

Any thoughts or advice welcomed.
Max

Max

I'm a little concerned about some "fat" areas at the base of each wing root by the fuselage, I think this was one area that Iain gave the sanding treatment to on his Spitfire and I can see why:

Any thoughts or advice welcomed.
Max

Max

Neat progress Max.

The wing roots do benefit from some sanding but be careful. Iain made it look simple but it is all too easy to sand away the raised edge of the wing root fillet. (Ask me how I know).

There are also mold bulges under the cockpit opening if you look along the fuselage. Whether or not these are worth removing will be up to you.

Interesting image Shawn. I've never seen that angle before . Thanks for posting it.

Cheers.

After finishing my domestic duties (gloss painting in the hall....ugh!) I had the chance to address those "fat" spots in the wing roots.  I started off with a grinding tool and gently took off as much as I dared, followed by an upwards curving needle file then a succession of increasingly fine sanding sticks to produce this: 

DSCN9494_zpsafgbb7rf.jpg

DSCN9495_zpsh7kplgro.jpg

I honestly don't know whether it's enough from a shape point of view, it certainly looks better than it did and I didn't sand through the plastic!! (Thanks for the warning Guy :) )

So now I'm pondering the best way to make these!! :

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-14%20at%2012.42.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-14%20at%2012.41.

Max
Edited by mozart

depends how accurate you want those shapes.

I'd use scrap PE in the well to form the 'U' the rod passes through.

Then some styrene rod or wire for the..well....rod.

The rest would be cake with styrene.

Maybe some soda tin for the door or wine foil.

Thanks Shawn and Guy, good suggestions both so I think that's the route to go down.  I have some Albion Alloys tubing which might do, I'll have to check the size, if not it's the painful business of a trip to the Frome Model Centre over the weekend, oh dear such a chore!!! :)

Yes Dennis, some things just have to be done don't they?  I'm doing internal doors with fifteen panes of glass in each.....only three doors to do.....both sides!!! :(

Max

Max, a thought occured. (Mark it in your diaries)

I suspect that you may have already scratch built the flap down indicator mechanism but if you have n't, would you like the ones from my Tamiya kit? I shall be closing the flaps on my build so won't need the kit parts. TBH they are nothing special but you are welcome to them if you think they'd be of any use.

HTH

Cheers.