Spitfire IIa of 1690 BDTF: finished 3 March (RIP)

mozart

She turned out beautifully Max. A fitting tribute to the brave airmen of those days and a neat tribute to Edgar. I'm sure he would have enjoyed seeing this one.

Lovely job.

Any plans for another Spit or does this conclude your contribution to the group build?

I hope that you continue to stop by and add your encouragement and support since you are such a positive and supportive influence in this GB.

Well done buddy.

Cheers.

Edit: Just noticed the gear down marker on the starboard wing and the lack of one on the port wing. That's a nice touch Max. :speak_cool:

Edited by geedubelyer

Thank you chaps, for my first Spitfire build since Airfix's 1/6d Mk1 in the mid-1950s, I found it thoroughly enjoyable, especially when adding those poetically beautiful wings onto the fuselage to get the iconic shape.  

To answer your questions Guy, oh yes I'll still be around and also, yes I'll be doing another build.  I've heard and read so much about Tamiya's Spits so I've got myself a Mk IXc.  Since I'm also on a 56 squadron kick with my Hurricane, Typhoon and Meteor, not to mention the chequerboard banding on the Tiger Moths, I'll be doing a 56 squadron Spitfire.  They only had them for 4-6 weeks in the change-over from Hurricanes to Typhoons but I've been researching and found some details so that'll be underway shortly, though I run a serious risk of not getting it finished because the golf club match season is upon us!

Max

Thanks Don, I always need to have a link, however tenuous to the models that I make.....though there's an exception coming up shortly with the Meteor T7 which is simply a beautiful aeroplane! :)

Max

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great, Max! Very interesting story too! That's also the first time I've seen one of those prop blurs used, and it looks surprisingly good. I am planning another wheels up display in the next year or so, and may have to grab a couple.

Tim

Thanks Maru, I thoroughly enjoyed the Spitfire build, I've tended to shy away from them before due to my cussed nature and the fact that everybody builds Spits.....but now I can see why so I'm straight away working on another! Such an elegant beautiful aeroplane.

Hello Tim, and thank you too. Wheels up prop-driven planes are always a bit of a problem, there's no real convincing solution I don't think but prop-blurs are in my opinion the best providing they are sympathetically painted, ie not just sprayed black over all. How to fit them had me head-scratching for a while but sliding them into the cut off prop blade worked well I think.

regards

Max