Spitfire IIa of 1690 BDTF: finished 3 March (RIP)

mozart

It's great to see your Spit so far advanced Max. Good job.

I feel the same as you regarding scale thickness so appreciate the effort it took to thin the gear door edges. They'll be all the better for it.

I'm pretty sure your decision to order the correct colour will be worth the wait. If the shades are too far out it throws the whole look of the model off.

The thing about Spits is that many people know how they ought to look so the builder can't take as many liberties.

Cheers.

You're right of course Guy, I was just trying to push on a bit but patience is a great virtue. While I was about it I ordered double quantities of OG and MSG for the Mossie in the stash and the Tamiya IX that I hope to build. :)

Max

I've been doing some work on the flaps, the vestigial ribs on the model act as a reasonable guide to position the new ones:

DSCN9533_zpsiaxwdjgy.jpg

DSCN9535_zpsj5ng9h0r.jpg

A little trimming to do once the glue has firmly set.

Max

Addendum: both flaps now completed, anybody any advice on the internal colour of flaps......I've seen silver/aluminium and interior green mentioned....thorny question I know!

Edited by mozart

Hi Max,

I'm with Andy, here is what Edgar had to say on the matter " From this, it appears that the laid-down finish was aluminium paint for all interior metal surfaces, which would include u/c covers; flaps and cowling interiors are specifically mentioned as being painted aluminium. Interestingly, it states that "bullet-proof steel plating" should be painted aluminium, as well, so did that include the pilot's seat armour? "

Here is the full article; http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43661-spitfire-undercart-wheel-wells-and-inside-of-doors-colour/

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Max,

I'm with Andy, here is what Edgar had to say on the matter " From this, it appears that the laid-down finish was aluminium paint for all interior metal surfaces, which would include u/c covers; flaps and cowling interiors are specifically mentioned as being painted aluminium. Interestingly, it states that "bullet-proof steel plating" should be painted aluminium, as well, so did that include the pilot's seat armour? "

Here is the full article; http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43661-spitfire-undercart-wheel-wells-and-inside-of-doors-colour/

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you both, that's very interesting so silver/alu it is then!  Seems like wheel wells should be silver too, though as Edgar noted what happens at MUs etc is a whole new ball game, pretty much carte blanche for painting as you wish. :) , and which "brave" (perhaps read foolish?) person is going to contradict you!!

Great build thus far Max. 

FYI. I picked up the yahu IP based on your build log. Never knew something like that was available until seeing your blog.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers David, the IP is a neat little thing isn't it?  I haven't looked to see what else, if anything, the company does but it's certainly a high standard.

Max

Edited by mozart

A neat improvement on the flaps Max. The added depth should be obvious with a little wash and dry-brush.

The Tamiya kit comes with an etched metal part for the trailing edge of the flap to give that "saw-toothed" detail of triangular bracing at the tip of each rib. I'm not sure whether it would fit the Revell kit (or make a dramatic difference for that matter) but I could have a look for you if you think it would be worth it. I shan't be using the ones in my model so you if you could find them a good home you'd be welcome to them.

Keep at it.

Cheers.

Thanks Guy, I appreciate the offer but on this occasion I think I'll leave as is. I think the extra detailing that I've done on the flaps is probably enough for this Spit. I've sprayed them aluminium and added a couple of "cockpit style" placards as noted from period pictures.

Max

That Yahu IP is a real gem isn't it.

Really enjoying this build Max and just hope I can get somewhere near as good with my two builds!

Thanks Shoggz, Yes I could get hooked on Yahu's stuff, great quality.  There are some excellent Spitfire builds to study and take note of, I always read and pinch others' ideas to help my build go more smoothly but I usually try to put my own "twist" on my builds.  I shall look forward to following yours!

Max,

Exemplary work so far... :m0152:

I will come back to see more of your lovely work. :party0023:

MARU 5137 :piliot:

You know you're welcome any time Maru.....the kettle's usually on! :)

Max

Since Pb is down I can't post any pics but suffice to say that my Ocean Grey, Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green Mr Paints have arrived and the Spit has received a top coat of OG, pretty boring picture anyway it would have been! :). Busy with visitors over the weekend so modelling time will be NIL! :(

Max