Spitfire IIa of 1690 BDTF: finished 3 March (RIP)

mozart

In the early days of the scheme, when supplies of Ocean Grey were not yet readily available, the recommendation was to mix Medium Sea Grey and black - how much more authentic can you get than to do that?

Edited by MikeC

In the early days of the scheme, when supplies of Ocean Grey were not yet readily available, the recommendation was to mix Medium Sea Grey and black - how much more authentic can you get than to do that?

Thanks Mike, that'll do for me!!

Max

Here is a topic that was over on Britmodeller in 2011, the full thread is here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/75814-raf-mustang-colours/

This is what Edgar had to say,

11-8-41 L. Hardy, for the D.T.D., wrote to Farnborough,"A decision has now been taken to replace the dark earth on day fighters of Fighter Command by a grey colour obtained by mixing seven parts of sea grey medium and one part of Night." He also asked for colour standards (12 needed immediately) and that Farnborough should give the colour a name. A note appended to the letter notes that "Ocean Grey 36 handed to Mr. Hardy 21-8-41."
So, there were only 16 days in which the new colour remained unnamed, and a mix of 7 parts MSG + 1 part Night was not a replacement for Ocean Grey, it was Ocean Grey.
Edgar

Cheers

Dennis

So she's just about ready in her coat of micro-meshed primer to start painting.  My preferred paints are the super-fine Mr Paints, though I don't have medium sea grey nor ocean grey but following our discussions previously I'm going to mix some greys which are as close too as I can make it; German grey violet for instance looks pretty damn close to OC to my eyes.

DSCN9529_zpssn9qmjkw.jpg

I've also been working on the undercarriage and Brassin wheels.  I've got a bit of a thing about scale-thickness: I know there are limitations regarding how thin injection moulded plastic can be made so wherever possible I thin edges and surfaces to give a more realistic appearance, as for instance the u/c covers here:

DSCN9530_zpsbhjavyg6.jpg

I'll be adding brake lines from lead wire once assembled.  The flaps are rather rudimentary in detail and since they are going to be down, and therefore visible I'll be adding the strengthening webs to make them look better:

DSCN9532_zpsqqcvsnhf.jpg

Onward, onward!!!! :)

Max

Edited by mozart

It is Dennis, you're so right!  Funnily enough I've just sprayed my spinner and fuselage band Sky too, Mr Paint dries easily within half an hour so no long waiting around periods.....but plenty of detailing still left too.

Max

Well Ocean Grey is nothing like Grey Violet!! It'll do as a base colour for a bit of modulation, I've just ordered some Mr Paints MSG and OG but I don't know when it'll arrive so the build could be on hold for a while.

Max

Edited by mozart