1/32 A-4C Skyhawk Decals & Conversion

ziggyfoos

I rewrote this (Jan 9) - these will are released.

A package of AMS Resin's previously released A-4C conversion (for Trumpeter kit) along with new AOA decals.

Now available:
http://aoadecals.com/32013/
$60 US / $69 international - which includes AMS Resin conversion and the the AOA decal sheet (free shipping in US)

This conversion package would include three A-4C's from Vietnam. To my knowledge, none of these schemes have ever been done in any scale before:
VMA-214 Blacksheep 1966/67
VA-146 Blue Diamonds 1964-65
VA-216 Black Diamonds 1964-65.

Decals are on one full size sheet, and as usual include stencils as well as specific squadron drop tank markings for two tanks each (and helmet decals for all three schemes as well).

32013-1.jpg32013.jpg COVER-32013.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos

My maybe would be a definite "yes!" if you had the A-4C of RADM (then CDR) Robert Byron "By" Fuller, CO of VA-76, taken as a POW i14July 1967, released after 2,061 days in captivity.

Even though there's a story to that one, unfortunately VA-76's aircraft are relatively "boring" with minimal markings so I'm not sure there would be much interest in them for the wider market to justify the high cost of small print job.

I'd like one- I had a resin conversion several years ago, in a weird chocolate-colored resin, along with decals for 2-3 birds...... Still have the decals, cannot find the parts anywhere.

Edit- I'd buy it if it fit the Hasegawa kit, which I have several of.

Edited by Lee White

I'd like one- I had a resin conversion several years ago, in a weird chocolate-colored resin, along with decals for 2-3 birds...... Still have the decals, cannot find the parts anywhere.

Edit- I'd buy it if it fit the Hasegawa kit, which I have several of.

It is a possibility I could cast a Hasegawa resin set or two, however the new decals may not fit properly. If you are using decals made for the Hasegawa kit, no problem. I would have to see if the molds have any life left in them.

Edited by Harold

I added the image of the planned decal sheet.

These are made for the Trumpeter kit specifically, I don't have a Hasegawa kit to compare it with. Most A-4 squadron markings are specifically related to one or some of the various angles on the tail and rudder. I have my doubts that the Hasegawa and Trumpeter kits' tail and rudder designs are the same so the tail markings probably won't match with the Hasegawa kits.

Edited by ziggyfoos

True - but it wouldn't take up much room on the decal sheet - LOL.

Even without lots of squadron markings, all the tail codes, BuNo, and modex and associated specific squadron/carrier identifiers still take up quite a bit of decal space in 1/32 (plus those that have large right wing markings).

In any case, VA-76 would need green though I believe which would add another color layer (more $$) since there's no green on this sheet needed. Green is highly possible though for a follow on C sheet if I do one.

Fret not, Zig.  I have an A-4E and C conversion in my stash and was going to do the VA-76 markings with paint and homemade decals.  Your thread was a shot at an easy way out.  If it were not for my personal connection to Admiral Fuller I wouldn't do VA-76 either since, as you said, their markings are not really eye-catching.

To carry on the story a bit further, in 1978 I was medevaced from the submarine I was on by a helo from HS-15 off the USS America (CV-66).  Unknown to me at the time was the fact that then CAPT Fuller was CO of the carrier.  A few years later I was transferred to the staff of Commander, Carrier Group FOUR aboard USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) and (surprise, surprise) it was now RADM Fuller that held that position.  He actually remembered the medevac mission from nearly three years earlier.  Small Navy world...

Edited by OldTroll

Thinking about it, there's no reason for a no option since I'm only interested in potential yes's so I've deleted the no's. If you're interested in C decals though, like Ron did let me know which you'd be interested in for potential follow on sheet.