Tamiya P-51D The Hun Hunter: 4/27/16: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 12/12/15; The Opening Round

10b7db4c-175f-47c2-8d3b-ca78b94c5a79_zps

With the Spitfire Done and in the Books, I was on a Tamiya roll and decided to give a go to the last Tamiya P-51D Mustang in the stash; after all, you can never have enough Mustangs and Spitfires in the collection. The Mustang would be mostly an enhanced build, using Barracuda's cockpit upgrade sets , Brassin wheels and tires, RB seatbelt set and Eagle Edition decals. This time around, I would be doing a P-51D-5-NA Mustang, the first production version of the 'D' series and one of the three different versions in the kit. For this variant: there is no fillet for the vertical stabilizer, the alternate early D IP, early seat, no breather plate on the cowl. Decals by Eagle Edition: Capt Henry Brown's Hun Hunter/Texas, 355th FG. I plan on filling in all the wing rivets and panel lines as per Jennings drawings and going with the dark olive drab upper surfaces. There is quite a debate as to whether the upper surfaces were dark olive drab or blue, but all my research shows it as the dark drab, so that's where I'm going. The rest of the build is planned as OOB and hopefully another relaxing and enjoyable project in the making.

No need to go through the what's in the box photos, Barracuda's upgrade sets and the Brassin wheels, as it's been shown so many times before. The NMF will be AK Metallics for change of pace, as all my other Mustangs were done with Alclad.

Over the past week, I've been tinkering and slowly building sub assemblies, adding the Barracuda resin upgrade sets, which fits like a glove. I decided not to add any of the Eduard PE sets, as what I have, is as far as I want to go. I'm just marking time waiting for my Ultracast order to arrive with the much needed cockpit stencil set, seatbelts and then will be able to start to assemble the sub assemblies.

Next up: Assembling the fuselage sub assemblies.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

PCW_2870.jpg

The correct tail for the -5 version: there is no fillet for the vertical stabilizer

untitled_zps11ydn9tl.jpg

Barracuda's resin side walls assembled and installed

untitled-2_zps6z3fe03d.jpg

untitled-3_zpsubhjxojd.jpg

The front office: all the parts are just being test fitted.

untitled-4_zpsujeafxgw.jpg

The Merlin with it's oil tank. Model Air paints, stainless steel and aluminum straps and pipes: AK Extreme Metals

untitled-5_zpscuwuhzsy.jpg

Just a few more of the assemblies I've been tinkering with.

untitled-6_zpso8h0told.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Well Peter, I'm more partial to the early fillet less birds, and glad to see you doing one.  To me they have more of a Thoroughbred look. Not many of these show up here.  I'd like to do do Everson's 4th FG 'Donald Duck' some day.

Best regards

Patrick