Hobbyboss Spitfire Vb

dennismcc

Painting and decorating at the daughters house (hall stairs and landing) came in the way of modelling for a while but I'm now back on the case, I re fitted the gun sight and fitted the windscreen, then masked off the clear parts.

The rudder was drilled, pinned and fitted, and the air intake glued together, I nearly forgot that one as the attachment holes were still not drilled out, but all is well now.

Looking at the photos I can see that the masking on the windscreen needs some attention, it looked fine to me but the photos caught it.

FrLKPE.jpg

BQ0pVZ.jpg

OmvmV8.jpg

qGFswS.jpg

yRHf1k.jpg

Now to start masking off ready for the underside paint job

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc
Replaced Photobucket photos

Finally ready for paint, in this case I will paint the yellow leading edge stripes and sky band first, then mask them off and paint the undersides with Medium Sea Grey, here she is all masked off and ready to go.

sjaafC.jpg

3wQqjt.jpg

THw4U7.jpg

The wheel wells will be done in the underside colour, I did toy with leaving them in silver but instead I will go down the MSG route.

And while I'm waiting to get the A/Brush out I painted the exhausts, first of all a coat of Humbrol 113 and then a rub with some pencil graphite.

qfDUUi.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

Looking good!!....Harv

Super job Dennis, those exhausts look especially good.  Funnily enough I'm at the same stage, primed my Spit a couple of hours ago.

Max

Thanks guys, it will now be a case of paint, leave to dry, mask, paint, leave to dry, so I will be starting on the Vb Trop to fill in.

Cheers

Dennis

The start of the paint work, yellow leading edges on the wings, and Sky spinner and fuselage band, now to leave it a few days before masking off ready for the undersides coat of Medium Sea Grey.

smdZSl.jpg

fXEaHe.jpg

pX6CwW.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

Rather you than me masking those leading edges Dennis, I hate masking which is why I'm freehanding my camouflage.

Max

Not my favourite job but I made a right mess of the Typhoon painting the stripes after the camo so I'll do it the way I normally do this time, I'm still; debating whether to use pre cut masks for the camouflage, maybe I should give it a go.

Cheers

Dennis

I've been putting this off for a couple of days but it is time to mask off the yellow wing leading edges and the fuselage Sky band, I don't know why I am hesitating as I have done this a few times, I even went into the display cabinets to have a look at my Mk.XIV for inspiration.

But it was time to get it done so without further ado off we go, the yellow leading edge bands were supposed to be 2" above and below the centre of the wing leading edge, my very rusty maths worked this out to be 50mm, in 1/32 scale this gives us roughly 1.6 mm, so I cut up a length of 6mm Tamiya tape in two and bent one piece of it around the wing lower lower leading edge, then bent the other half around the top wing leading edge.

I had to look at photos to guess how far the stripe went and it varied from just outboard of the inner 303, or just inboard of the inner 303, or to just outboard of the cannon, in all cases the stripe stops at the navigational light. So I went with the one that started just outboard of the cannon.

1pmCza.jpg

UDXaEm.jpg

Then the Sky band, this is 18" wide, or 457mm, divided by 32 gives just over 14mm, so I again cut up some 6mm Tamiya tape and marked out the limits of the band.

t72DS2.jpg

I checked the width with lengths of tape cut to 14mm just to make sure, then filled in the band with more tape.

ggmzUU.jpg

The trust old Badger 200NH was then bought into action and a coat of Medium Sea Grey was applied (Xtracolor X3) and the model was then deposited on the shelf to fully dry before getting some fading.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

• 2 weeks later...

After the Medium Sea Grey dried I then went over it with a lightened patchy coat (.75 white to 1.0 MSG), but I was not happy with the effect, it was so subtle it was hardly noticeable, then I started to dither, should I go over it again or not, this went on for a week before I finally set at it again. And I am now a lot happier but I have wasted a lot of time dithering, stupid boy !

Here is what I finished up with, not too much of a "patchwork quilt" effect just enough to give some tonal difference.

pjdtx9.jpg

zZmMcT.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc