Hobbyboss Spitfire Vb

dennismcc

• 1 month later...

Well the mishap with the Vb Trop put me off for a while but I'm back at the bench now, the fuselage markings on this one did not go as planned, there was some damage to the blue paint on one side of the fuselage so I touched it up and left it  alone for a week or so, and then I masked off the finished roundel (cockade ?) to airbrush the green surround that resulted when the RAF yellow outline was painted out.

All went well until I removed the masking and once again on the same side the blue pulled off, this time it also took some of the white off as well, despite my best efforts to repair the damage it looked really bad, so both fuselage markings were sanded off and the camouflage re painted. As I did not have any more masks I had to resort to decals, luckily I had bought some Super Scale Spitfire Mk IX USAAF desert decals and was able to use the fuselage decals from them, these were successfully applied.

Next up was the code letters these were painted on using the Montex masks and went on great with only a small amount of bleed through on some panel lines, I went with the Montex instructions for the starboard side markings T*MD rather than the normal MD*T despite there being a photos of another aircraft from the same squadron using the normal format mainly because of space considerations. 

Using a combination of kit, Montex, and TallyHo decals all the stencils and the other markings were added, though the serial decal on one side of the fin folded on me and would not unfold so it was binned.

9HRFS0.jpg

CjzcCm.jpg

G0WSnf.jpg

DuYNr2.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc
Replaced Photobucket photos

Great scheme and looking really nice Dennis.

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy I'm liking mt venture into USAAF stuff.

You're a real stoic Dennis, well done, she's looking really smart!

Max

Thank you Max, the finish line is in sight.

Persistence is admirable, Dennis! I notice some silvering on the stenciling on your last pict that you might want to address!

Thank you very much as for silvering I expect a few more will appear as soon as I get the matt varnish on.

Cheers

Dennis

• 3 months later...

Well I finally got around to finishing this one off, the silvering stencils were mostly taken care of and all the bits and bobs added, the Exito prop had the wrong blades for my subject so some Grey Matter Figure blades were substituted, some stretchy Aeroclub thread was used for the IFF cables, and some (not much) dirtying up was applied.

And here she is.

SgFq6I.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc
Replaced Photobucket photos