Tornado F3

wunwinglow

Nearly, but there are a few little features that make it a bit more complicated, but not much. A bigger issue could be the rear frame that the forms the rear of the fuselage on the Revell kit isn't quite the right shape anyway, but I'm going to live with it. I'll post some pics....

Tim

Look forward to it - I haven't started either of my Revell kits, and believed the consensus was they were nigh-on perfect.

But from what you just hinted at Tim, it seems another few hours of peering at photos and then plastic held at ungodly angles will be required when the time comes.

Agreed! Sounds exactly what I have been doing for the last couple of weeks!! I love the Revell Tornado, like most of the recent Revell kits, they offer extraordinary value for money. Tony T and I just picked one up each for £30; OK, its the ECR version, but perfect for an F3 conversion. I just wish I had picked up a couple more GR1s when they were about. Or Revell would just sell the Brit sprues and decals! Or did another additional sprue for all the missing stuff fro a GR4A!

Pics shortly, I just need to tweak the CAD again....

Tim 

Here is a pic that shows what I mean. Look at the ring of bare metal petals that run around the fuselage in front of the thrust reverser buckets and 'pen nib' fairing, and the rest of the fuselage. If you look at the petals immediately in front of the pen nib, the frame is almost vertically straight for maybe 5 or six petals-worth, right under the tail surface. Then it starts to curve over and under. The Revell part for this area is almost completely a smooth curve, with no flattened section. I isn't much, but of course it is right where the extension piece goes. Like I said, I'm going to lve with mine, but if anyone really wants to rebuild the whole back end, that image shows what is going on.

54375603.jpg

picture address is http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/54375603.jpg, accessed last 19th Dec2015

Tim

hear hear , especially as the GR4 is seeing so much action these days ,

I've had this weird project kicking round my head for years , a GR5, basiclly the fuselage enhancements from the F3 but with the 4's nose, the idea came from reading about the initial stages of the GR4 project when the crews were pushing for a fuselage extension to allow more fuel 

Sorry to ramble , but yes an F3 and a modern spec 4 with the option for Brimstone and a Raptor pod would be very welcome!

I recall having an argument/discussion about the extended F3 fuselage should have become the standard airframe for follow on types at the old rec.models.scale newsgroup, with the counter view being that the IDS was already optimum (which I didn't buy).

So much so I proposed cutting a wedge from the F3's nib fairings a la late model MiG-23s. Sauce for the goose etc...

The IDS was cleared with a whole bunch of heavy stuff. Stretching it would not only cost money but most likely entail a time-consuming weapons clearance programme.

What I found most interesting was the later ADV use of the standard RWR kit as an emitter location system in conjunction with ALARM anti-radar missiles. Very late on, but it meant the new EF.3's could fly CAP and SEAD at the same time - in theory. Only used by one squadron AFAIK.

As for stores, ASRAAMs can come from a Eurofighter kit. Skyflash is very similar to AIM-7F/M Sparrow airframes found in Eagle or Hornet models. And I believe Flightpath might do ALARMs.

The "Hindenberg" tanks are only in the British editions of the Revell IDS kits, but I believe Flightpath do them if you don't mind vacform shells and etch fins. I do, unfortunately, and the Brit Tonkas are going for £60 on eBay - but then again you don't have to shell out £12 for the drop tanks.

Looking forward to seeing the next bit of fuselage plug.

Tony

Edited by Tony T

Heh - wildly off topic Tony, but you wouldn't credit the hoops I had to jump through to keep the main flying surfaces in situ relative to each other for a stretched twin-seater long range/loiter Typhoon FGR5.

Transferring the cuts from the digital realm to the physical world is too much like hard work to actually create a model from at present.