Tornado F3

wunwinglow

I have a friend, who has just started looking at the Tornado F3 as a project. However, I, I mean he, already has several projects on the go, so I don't want anyone encouraging him in any way, especially not by suggesting which squadron markings or ordnance loadouts I, I mean he, should be considering. So please, could you all just ignore this message. Thank you. From him. Not me.

Whatever he has on his mind, i'll buy it...:-D

Sorry, not much done recently while we have been looking after our granddaughter, while her mum was getting over pancreatitis. Here are a few pics though of some of the smaller bits so far....

The new thrust reverser fairing for the base of the fin is being a bit tricky, I have to refine the central fin part, but otherwise this works OK now. The Revell kit parts need a bit of trimming, but not too difficult with a sharp scalpel.

Also, the rear missile mounting points, with their crutches. I will try and test fit these to the model tomorrow. I still have a few more things to do, but it is coming on I think!

12698358_886112491507964_18328723016483912694825_886112424841304_51661464006728612695034_886112578174622_42344720986612212642917_886112538174626_762713609611765

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of questions: Does anyone want to retain the working wing sweep on this model? I am trying to get the intake trunking to marry up with the structural braces between the wings, and is is all getting a bit crowded! It would be a lot simpler if I can fix the wings. Comments welcome!

I am also making up some replacement instrument and console panels, at the moment just to replace the kit parts. I am not looking to do complete cockpits, as these are already available elsewhere.

I'll post some more pics shortly. Emma is hopefully having her gall bladder and stones removed on Friday, so the week end might be a bit busy!!

TTFN, Tim

No need for swingy wings. My method would be to cut a slot to the pivot point and put them on last.

I would, however, want to display the wings swept back. Is that problematic without cutting a portion of wing off ?

Tony

p.s. Hope all goes smoothly for Emma on Friday. It's good to know you can be of help.

My 23 year old daughter Zelie is under psychiatric supervision after another overdose. She's across the Atlantic and the inability to

assist in any meaningful way is very stressful and distracting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, no pics I am afraid, but I have been busy on this, in between helping Emma recover from her op, thankfully all looking good, gall bladder and stones gone, all healing really well, but she still needs help as she can't lift anything, including Lottie, until she has healed a bit more! But my goodness, we are relieved it all went well in the end.  Thanks everyone for your kind comments, I passed them on!

Anyway, pulled a few more test vacformings of the drop tanks, and then realised what I though were grooves are actually raised welds, so I need to tweak the mould again!

The intakes and wing centre section parts are being a bit more problematic, but I'll get there. Once that is a bit more resolved, I can finalise the wing leading edge extensions and the seal. I will have to do different seals for different sweep angles, but that isn't a problem.

I also discovered the tailplane pivot points are in the wrong place on the Revell kit, so have moved them forward on the tail extension section, and have designed a little jig so you can drill a location for a new pivot, and take the opportunity to beef it up a bit. The originals were pathetic.....

Anyway, more soon, intake ramps, cockpit, and yes Tony, I will look at that pesky nose UC leg! I see what you mean.... And I do hope things work out for your daughter. Must be very tough being so far away from her at this time. 

TTFN

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow

Glad to hear all went well for Emma. Zelie's out of hospital and blogging again so it's looking a lot better. Panic over!

I believe the NLG was beefed up alongside the GR.4 mod. Not sure about the F.3. The main issue with the Revell part is that the oleo is over-extended and I'm not sure there existed two scissor links.

It needs something, preferably in bronze.

Tony

Hi Tony,

At least Brit GR got the double scissor links. I'm not sure I saw them on Italian or German planes.

Thierry

No! The GR variants I've seen *don't* have two scissor links - and that's the second reason the Revell part needs replacing (the first being the uncompressed oleo).

The Revell NLG is good for an unladen Marineflieger jet.

Tony

Well, at least my pictures of ZA465 (a GR1B) show the two scissors....!

That has to be a latterday mod or replacement. It didn't as a Desert Pink combatant.

Wondering which was fitted to the F.3 ?!?

Tony