1/32 O-2 Skymaster or O-1 Birddog

ZachP319

Hmmmm....regretting saying anything.  My point was that 9 or10 "me toos" is not sufficient to support the research, die-making and production of any model in any medium.  I'll be the first to admit ignorance of the economics of producing an injection-molded model but I'm certain that if a manufacturer cannot realistically foresee sales in the thousands of units market-wide they are unlikely to commit resources to such a project.  Like most of us, I have a "dream list" of models I would like to see produced but will most likely go to my grave without seeing produced unless I scratch-build them myself.

I hope that the O-1, O-2 and OV-1 in 1/32 scale all get produced in (relatively) inexpensive injection-molded form (or any form, for that matter) but I think the realities of the actual dollar-spending demand for such subjects is likely to doom them from the start.  Think 1/32 TBD-1, Val, and numerous other ghost kits clamored for on this forum.

Hmmmm....regretting saying anything.  My point was that 9 or10 "me toos" is not sufficient to support the research, die-making and production of any model in any medium.  I'll be the first to admit ignorance of the economics of producing an injection-molded model but I'm certain that if a manufacturer cannot realistically foresee sales in the thousands of units market-wide they are unlikely to commit resources to such a project.  Like most of us, I have a "dream list" of models I would like to see produced but will most likely go to my grave without seeing produced unless I scratch-build them myself.

I hope that the O-1, O-2 and OV-1 in 1/32 scale all get produced in (relatively) inexpensive injection-molded form (or any form, for that matter) but I think the realities of the actual dollar-spending demand for such subjects is likely to doom them from the start.  Think 1/32 TBD-1, Val, and numerous other ghost kits clamored for on this forum.

I dont think anyone is saying your wrong Ron, because I think you are right re: a small niche arena like we are in here @ LSP.    I think though that the popularity of the subject being simple and a good size might make it a good IM candidate...............

I also think discussions like this are indeed healthy as well, so please dont take it as  any kind of attack, as I do think you bring some valid points

Hmm I suppose I agree but in all honesty I have seen less likely subjects kitted than any of these three.

The Kingfisher certainly comes to mind as does the Ov-10. This thing only ever had mediocre to horrible kits in 1/72 and 1/48 scales. Nothing like a P-51 or Spitfire...and now we have 2 variants in large scale. Go figure.

I figured the only Boulton Paul Defiant kit we'd see was the old CA challenge but now sirfix has given the world a great mainstream lot in 2 scales.

My point: it is not an impossibility especially these days.

Just my hopeful thinking

Zach

Edited by ZachP319

I think an L-19 / O-1 would sell well.

Totally agreed, and not just based off LSP response, but a general overall response I seem to have seen re: this little gem

plus once you have molds done the wings and most other small details would open a lot of older civilian Cessna's.

Cessna 170! The fuse and specifically the rear glass, but they DO share a lot, and I would DEFINITELY buy a civi 170......

I can only imagine a highly polished 1/32nd  foil 170:

MD20090911-021.jpg

It's a strange kind of breed, those LSP modellers... The great thing about them is: most can really get excited by the idea of a new kit in 1/32. I hardly have aircraft on my wishlist, but each time a kit is announced, I see myself wanting to buy one! 

I never would have thought that I'd be building a 1/32 Sabre Dog or Bronco, yet I did (and had a lot of fun with it). Now I'm building a Kingfisher, I hardly new the aircraft before KH announced it! Sure, there are aircraft that I would get sweet dreams over if they would be announced (like a TF-102 or an F-106), but I can get enthusiastic about a lot of aircraft in 1/32. Mohawk? Ow yes please! Birddog? Never thought about it, but that's a cool idea ! I think most of us have so much passion for aircraft and modelling, that we could buy (and build) anything!

Nic

Like I said before in previous posts, I'd be all for a 1/32 O-1 - and have the decals ready to go too. 1/32 is perfect scale for small plane such as it, I'd buy at least two of them easily. I'd probably pick up an O-2 or OV-1 if one came out but not in multiples like the O-1.

Glen if KH tackle the O-1: please consider molding the windows with their framing as one clear piece rather than only having window inserts! Especially the top wing windows.

Why not make them in 1/24. They are small ac in real life and fits best in the 1/24 scale.

1/24 too big scale for me, I wouldn't buy. Plus I prefer keeping same scale as much as possible for the stash, and with 1/32 the most common LSP I'd stick with that. Rather like to have all 1/32 instead of having most in 1/32 and then a sole 1/24 O-1.