Swordfish Mk.I Photos Restored

Uncarina

Nice work there! And a kick in the pants to me to get on with mine...

Thank you! It would be great to see your build!

There is a mistake in the rigging. Those flat wires running along the lower wing are spurious.

If you have a look at some collector rings, they aren't bronze, but a mix of burnt and blued steel.

It's a great kit thoug

Thanks for the tip and photo! I had a suspicion those wires were inaccurate. Why did Trumpeter do this? Were there markings on the lower wings that they mistook for wires? I'm looking forward to weathering that cowling!

I must get around to starting my one of these kits soon. Ive got all the photo etch sets for the Mk1.

Bring it to the party! It would be great to see your build with the Big Ed!

Cheers, Tom

Immaculate work Tom, I live about 20 minutes away from the FAA Museum so if you need any additional reference pics just let me know. The Stringbag flew right over my house a couple of months ago on its way to the Old Sarum air day, beautiful sight. By the way, you've got that dope colour inside the cockpit absolutely right.

Max

Guest Peterpools

Tom

Awesome progress and looking so good. Sure hope the Squadron comes through and can replace the part(s) you need. I have my fingers crossed.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Immaculate work Tom, I live about 20 minutes away from the FAA Museum so if you need any additional reference pics just let me know. The Stringbag flew right over my house a couple of months ago on its way to the Old Sarum air day, beautiful sight. By the way, you've got that dope colour inside the cockpit absolutely right.

Max

Max, thank you very much! It must have been a wonderful experience seeing it fly right over. Thank you also for the compliment! I used a thick oil wash over Tamiya buff.

Tom

Awesome progress and looking so good. Sure hope the Squadron comes through and can replace the part(s) you need. I have my fingers crossed.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Peter, thanks for your encouragement and support! I have my fingers crossed as well!

Cheers, Tom

This week I've worked on several scattered items in the build, a combination of assembly and enhancing details:

--I've drilled out the tow ring at the back of the aircraft (what looks like a tiny beaver tail below the rudder)

--mounted the extended slats

--removed the aileron controls from the upper wing, replacing them with more detailed counterparts

--started work on the struts and landing gear.

I received the "How to Build the Tamiya Swordfish" by Geoff Coughlin, and I was pleasantly surprised with how useful it is for this build, since it includes many detailed photos of the actual aircraft. Oh yes, and I just ordered the flat rigging material from Wingnut Wings, and while there just had to add the Early Snipe kit! More photos this weekend.

Cheers,  Tom

Coming along nicely, Tom. Super job on the slats, too! :thumbsup:

John

Thanks, John! In photos I've seen of parked Swordfish they're not always extended, but I thought it added a little bit to the build.

Immaculate work Tom, love the attention to detail.

Max

Thank you Max! It has been a fun build so far, and the Coughlin book has proven a great reference.

Cheers, Tom

Andy,

Thank you very much! Like most biplane builds it takes some extra planning for an effective build sequence, and after my mistake with the upper wing I want to really get things figured out. My current plan is to assemble the upper wings with proper dihedral and struts, and use flexible flat rigging (which will fit better and be more in scale) once attached to the lower wing. Meanwhile, the kit is fitting pretty well so far!

Cheers, Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see an old thread being resurrected Tom, funnily enough I'm in the process of going through a build long and restoring all of the pictures as I want to get back on with it!

How did you find the Trumpeter parts service out of interest? Cant have taken 4 years to turn around you request......

Regards Andy