Scalemaster decals usable?

GAKEITH

I haven't seen it addressed anywhere so I thought I'd ask here. Has anyone decided that Scalemaster decals are junk. They look great at first, but every model painted white that I used them on several years ago have turned orange. It's not the Tamiya white paint or overcoat, as many have suggested, but the decals themselves, or I think, the adhesive. Some sheets have turned orange in the box. Makes me wary of using the old minicraft-hasegawa kits from the 80s that had them, such as the TA-4J and even roll-out F16. Is there any way to improve them, such as rinsing off most of the adhesive, or how about the old bleaching them in the sun trick? Or should I just chuck them?

A few years ago I built the Glencoe M-130 China Clipper kit, and the decals were printed by Scalemaster. They looked great on the sheet, but the broad orange panels along the top of the wing looked dreadful once they were applied - all patchy and blotchy. I should have masked and painted that area instead! You can sort of see the effect in the image below:

file-25.jpg

The other issue I remember having is that they broke up a lot, either in the water, or while trying to apply them.

In short, don't use 'em!

Kev