I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Wings and Things (Continued) :

Now to the Main Wings...

here is a study of the Main Wing dihedral ....

zJVkvA2.png?1

With the fuselage ready to accept the Main wings.. I came upon a slight problem..... Sag and Warpage!

It had nothing to do with my reinforcing processes.. the old age of the vacuform sheet did cause some distortions during the time it was stored - moved interstate  twice and the hot /cold climate etc...

...also the 37 year passage of time!

T8nQT0C.jpg?1

bOlCHPc.jpg?1

Now, after giving it much thought  (there was a few ways i could 'surgically alter' the dihedral by cutting - resetting / filletting and using spacers etc) ... but these do risk the integrity of the shape...  and also means a hell of a lot of extra time and work ( a process I am beginning to get used to, in this old model - by now)... So, I had to find an easier and quicker way to fix this!

So, as the top of the wing is complete piece and the lower wing comes in two pieces...  the 'Dihedral' is set in the top wing only - so the other two lower pieces must be set to the top.

but, my problem is the top wing - where the dihedral is 'set' .... is now Warped!

Hmm.... what to do?  ....another test of problem solving... 

So, I came up with the idea of using a boxed section in the outer top wing as used in one of my favourite aircraft - the Me-262!... I read in a book of the NASM Me-262 restoration, that the wing had to be 'disassembled' for restoration.

But to do this, it did risk effecting the dihedral of the wing - unless it was supported in some way ( meaning building a complex jig) . They found the mid-wing boxed spar section supported the wing's dihedral - so they were free to take off all the other parts, for restoration.

This was my answer!...My idea is a variant of this - in a reverse engineering , sort of way.

5BSs6ov.jpg?1

Make a thin boxed section into the middle of the top of the wing (even if it is warped!) so long as the outer wing is straight - ....  which it was!

MgElO4t.jpg?1

WnwVtEE.jpg?1

uMbB5zT.jpg?1

... To do the above 'adjustment' ... i had to bend and pull the outer wing upwards , while 'plastic - welding' and filling the gap to the inner hard point at the same time!

it needed a bit of concentration to do this!

h9QzAoF.jpg?1

08vLgTj.jpg?1

VCFlGIE.jpg?1

Well, after spending a little time and a little effort  'for a change'.... I am happy to tell you - it worked perfectly!

Edited by Piprm

On 11/12/2017 at 7:17 PM, dodgem37 said:

Smart.  Good show.  Did you weld any of the minor hard points or otherwise have problems with them not being compliant with the major hard point?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

3Ei00cV.jpg?1

Hi Mark,

Yes, i totally worked on that hard-point rib shown as above  (an earlier photo 8 months ago) I highlighted for you in green where i worked the  plastic welding and reinforcing around that hard-point area a few days before I did the wing adjustment shown. 

No, I haven't welded everything under the wing as yet (secondary supports - it's only glued for now) .. only the green areas shown in photo above -  i will finish everything inside the wing when it's ready to be buttoned up later!

I am only focused on the main issue of wing support of the important pieces for now-  i will weld all the support pieces later when i am happy what I have done to now - is good enough.... but You are right - if i didn't, then the problem looks for the next weakest link in the chain - to break or cause issues. I rechecked this area a few times since, in the last few days and i am now totally confident of a permanent fix.

Pip

Edited by Piprm

• 1 month later...

Jet Intakes and Tube exhaust:

Howdy Folks!   Sorry for delays... but I have been back through this thread changing photos from that rotten Photo-bucket to the new Imgur... I took me almost 1.5 weeks (one photo - at - a - time)

transferring photos ....but it's worth it! No adverts and pop-ups  constantly bombarding and  interrupting your photo transfers - as Photo-bucket is... Imgur is no hassles at all!

​But one thing though .. I was Soo-o relieved when i deleted my photo-bucket account after i transferred all my photos across to Imgur!  Photo-bucket is now in the trash - where it belongs!

But anyways, I'd thought i'd show you the intakes and jet exhausts of the Canberra before I begin on the dreaded cockpit...

nSGk7ZF.jpg?1

The jet tube is produced in 3 segments... (PVC)  as above..

BIjur81.jpg?1

G9mWxdm.jpg?1

Detail reference of parts

HCktP6x.jpg?1

Details of exhaust tube... this is a master in situ 

ilkg89I.jpg?1

7uw5Ljo.jpg?1

Edited by Piprm

....Also had a surprise visitor today to check out the Canberra for the first time - LSP The 'Guyman1' .....

He had to have a look at the Canberra with his own eyes!... enjoyable afternoon... thanks mate

AMD1RAz.png?1

Which wizard is which?

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Phil

Now that's engineering and what a fix. Of curse I'm not surprised you would come up with THE FIX!

Same question as Kev ... inquiring minds want to now.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Totally impressed with the reshaping effort!

Gaz

Thanx Gazza,

Yes, This project came to a crashing stop, when i was made aware of this 'problem' ... but was FIXED in no time... (1 hour?) ....but a few hours brain solving though  :rolleyes:

Edited by Piprm