I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Every time I chack your thread I hear those voices in my head. They sing... Yes, they are singing!

:punk: It's a kind of magic, one prize, one goal... :punk:

Regards

- dutik

Hi Dutik!

Many Thanks my friend... Yes!.....I hear that same song now.....

But at the start... after consulting with various friends and modelling scholars ......all I heard in my head was... "I'm on the road to no-where..... Come on in inside ... I'm on the road to no-where...  Let's take that ride"   :mental:

Cheers

Phil

Phil

Holy Cow. Magic for sure (Eric to the rescue) and looking simply tremendous.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your support and interest!

Yes... like anything - with the right tools and Erics know-how...... you can do anything!  ;)

Cheers

Phil

What a project! master modelling at it's finest so far!

Will be following this with great interest.

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your kind words!... 

I said at  the start it will be challenging .. and  it has thrown up a few curved balls at me from time to time... but I think I'm getting there!

I am only 1/3 the way through and I can see already that this kit would challenge the best of us here!

I am sure now - that once these parts are available to all  skilled- level  modellers... then, the difficulties of building this kit - will be minimised (to the most-part)!

Merry Xmas! to all!

Phil

Edited by Piprm

Time to Check fitment of parts :  Main Landing Gear

Reference photos: (Study)

VNeRRWp.jpg?1

kKAFsZb.png?1

9OaUx2q.jpg?1

JsNJq4M.jpg?1

K2CE6ll.jpg?1

Ydgd2Ns.png

Now to compare to master wheels- Metal landing gear  and covers.....

hN3wpzl.jpg?1

dwVxzEy.jpg?1

XUvkEF6.jpg

PTUL5ms.jpg

dkKnd6I.jpg

7HZ9pZx.jpg

zV5KXp1.jpg?2

Me thinks I got it pretty close....  :hmmm:

Edited by Piprm

Attachment of Metal landing Gear to wheel well....

The photo below show how the Landing gear is attached to the wheel well and what problems it causes me to duplicate this...

bIDpeBX.jpg?1

This may be a pivot point to swing the landing gear up into the bay but......

8UgZH5R.jpg?1

It is a semi-open mounting point, mounted to the 'side' of the well - which causes me some difficulties... as far as attachment of gear, stress-points and rigidity is concerned.

U8xDBkx.jpg?1

NSUKgOE.jpg?1  Check out the angles here 

The red dotted line  (above) indicates the pivot-point and connecting point - which is an extension piece away from the landing gear upright by 90 degrees / right-angles ... (as does the stress points! - not straight up and down! )

dehDSzB.jpg?1

The red vertical line ......is where the weight of the aircraft is transferred  down to the ground... but the tyre 'contact point'  is - stepped away 2-times from the mounting point! (the red line ideally, should be straight down to the ground).

But - being as I am... I duplicated this landing gear as close to original design...

...all very well.. but how to secure this into the wheel well at the side - not up or top of the well - as usual designed aircraft?    .... here, most of the 'forces' are  'up and at right-angles' .. and the top of undercarriage leg - tubular connecting point, is 'open'!

The answer is to extend the connecting point further into the wheel well sides, to lessen the  stress-forces on the gear and also make it stronger in the process (also out of sight too!) 

This is indicated by the purple dotted line on the metal tip extension that I designed into the metal landing gear master -  which will be embedded into the side of the wheel-well wall ... to help carry the load! .. without this extension metal piece at the top of the leg, the small circular mounting collar would 'pop out' of the mount or at least be under some strain... i would envisage.

Edited by Piprm

• 2 weeks later...

Accessory Wheel well - Doors:

I wasn't going to do these up till recently - but since they are part of the wheel-wells .. I decided to include them in my resin-parts list.

Reference :

Main wing - Small Door .....

mRZ4Omp.jpg

9SZfbIV.jpg

As you can see above......A secondary small well door - connected to the Engine nacelle that is obscure at first glance but since it is part of the well cover-doors ...I decided to master these little-uns!

KoMloum.jpg?1

The small door master comparison to the photo of same part ... note the extender arms bracket that I duplicated (such a small thing that you hardly notice...)  <_< 

Edited by Piprm

Front Wheel Well Doors

Again... my initial plans didn't include these parts (as I thought i would leave that to the kit constructers to knock up).. but since my focus was to do most external parts... I had a change of mind...

Photo/ Drawings  Reference:

ni55gdH.jpg

2ZsbiCZ.jpg?1

18TgjJX.jpg?1

j45Un0Y.jpg?1

IEkPlKt.jpg?1

ivVLz94.jpg?1

CAH5GMp.jpg?1

Master  Front Cover/Doors mounted on the resin casting Jig...

SSLXxJH.jpg?1

Front Well Door masters ready for molding - not a good photo,  but it does have rivet detail same as the wheel covers shown earlier ... to keep parts consistent in detail.

Edited by Piprm

Next Stop...... MAIN WING WHEEL - WELL! 

... The part of the aircraft I have been dreading for some time :blink:  ... If this is compared to climbing mountains ... This would be K2! ..... (The cockpit is Everest!)

Still.... if ever there's a time to start , it's right now!

I started with the wings and measured everything about it,  to make sure everything goes together at the end of the process, without butchering things to make it FIT!

​So ! .. we start with the component wings:

XXhuY4M.jpg?1

Important note!... â€‹when measuring and marking for parts placement (especially in concave and convex  areas) the measurement should always be 'line-of sight' .

... let's say the wing above - for example... according to the plans - might be 5 centimetres from the leading edge to the start of the wheel well fixture  

OK... sounds good enough.....but this is a 2-dimensional drawing!... 

The trap can be ... if you really measure along the inside of the wing cavity - with it's curved surface ... the measuring distance would actually be 6 cms (to get to the same referred marking-point).

If you measured the said  5cms  along the 'inside' of the wing - you would measure - up short! (which effects the balance of the wheels /aircraft tipping point) ... as well as the wrong placement of the wheel-well!

​These are some of the things you have to think of,  when building non - injected kits,  as you don't have the real luxury of any 'alignment - pins' or cut-outs or pre-sunken drepressions to mark wheel-well/cockpits etc ..... to know where things go - with some confidence.

2gBxNZh.jpg?1

OwyvlRA.jpg?1

​As you can see by my markings... everything is  Measured.... Very important in vac-building.... 

Edited by Piprm