I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Howdy Folks....

This is my first posting on building 'something' after all these years here commenting on this and that - and not much else! ... So, with my mate Eric G's encouragement and maybe followed by a bit of pushing and shoving...  it's about time to try my hand(s) at something Big, Aussie.... and challenging - to say the least! :wacko:

With all the research I've done  (to date) using a stack of books/ personal photos and granted permission by Mr Dave Newsham of the Amberley Heritage Centre to crawl over the 'real thing'  ...I have found the aircraft to be rather complex ...in it's engineering approach.

So for me,  with my previous model-mastering experiences in the past .... This Baby is a real Challenge - in no uncertain terms! ....even for a vacuform (as it is turning out) -  BUT  here goes... (Gulp!)

2wWgsYA.jpg

Initial Things to rectify: 

Removal of  gunpack (highlighted).  This is a simple fix but will wait till i start on exterior  down the track.

H2HqNvr.jpg

Second obvious thing to fix: 

Canopy that has yellowed with age (vac about 30 years old!). I will either get a new one from Tigger Models or maybe master a new clear-resin version (haven't decided yet) .. i will worry about this when i get to it.

F63nvpo.jpg

wg4VENz.jpg

:whistle:    This is how i want it to look when finished! ... down the track...  :thumbsup:

(plus wing-tip tanks!)

Edited by Piprm

Hi Kev,

Thanks for your welcome (Yes.. long over-due)..

Eric had to help me post the photos here (I am not that computer literate!)..

I maybe a tech-dummy but it's great to know a lot of guys here are willing to help out!

Cheers

Phil

Step 1 :  Buy the kit!

... and this is what's Ya get! (Please keep in mind, this is an OLD I.D Vaucorm kit of the 1980's vintage... there is a current Tigger version of this available and is much better thickness and quality kit

k2IaaRD.jpg?1

Step 2: Question.... What can Ya use?

Answer:  'Not much!"

From the supplied sheet - I can just use basic fuselage ... 

Hmm! check for Aftermarket bits?  Nope - sorry ... Nothin!

OK.. will have to start project with main components and master them one - at - a - time! (I might as well start with the hard-parts first!).. I'm a glutton for punishment!

Lets check the list: Wheels/tyres , undercarriage and all architecture associated with that.. , wheel-wells, well covers, engine intakes, fans/blades, exhausts cans......

Next - Interior :  Again.. anything aftermarket?

Answer: Nope - sorry .. Nothin!

OK... must master  a pair of Martin Baker Mk 1C seats and ALL interior cockpit fittings! (which can be viewed as a model in itself!)

Question : Will i be doing bomb-bay?

Answer: After doing all the above components - Me thinks Not!

Can anyone spare me a Aspirin?  :shrug:

Edited by Piprm

Guest Vulcan32

Hi Phil,

for the interior and other detail parts: 3D printing companies can scan and scale up parts, you just need a 1/48 Classic Airframes kit. This will save some work.

Good luck, Heinz

Hi Lee,

Yes,  236  Number 2 squadron Canberra is certainly a Vietnam Vet!..To my understanding, it is on display in Point Cook Museum in Melbourne - Victoria.

Yes, I've seen Jacks build thread and have been in touch with Jack for some time now .. and he has been very supportive of me by generously giving me tyres for this project - to help it along.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil,

for the interior and other detail parts: 3D printing companies can scan and scale up parts, you just need a 1/48 Classic Airframes kit. This will save some work.

Good luck, Heinz

Hi Heinz,

Yeah , sounds good idea... I have made some progress in the cockpit already - but I am looking at this  3-D process as a possible remedy to this problem.... mostly because the time - factor for mastering the interior will be the killer!

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Piprm