I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Time to set my Canberra FREE!   :piliot: 

I kept main components on the carrier sheet whilst i worked on the Canberra,  to make sure it stays straight and minimise warping while i reinforced and thickened everything.....

​I can assure you - the I.D  fuselage was very thin and flip-floppy,  before i started working on it...

HGfH2rk.jpg?1

rnWraRu.jpg?1

1ioUHG2.jpg?1

BkiqBLu.jpg?1

odoOuH0.jpg?1

The fuselage is very rigid after my extra work!

..Now I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!  :) 

Edited by Piprm

Glad to see the fuselage finally free Pip! 

Your techniques on display in the build are so unique :).... I would have gone the easy way and built a skeleton. Still, I'm sure the advantage of your approach is in ensuring everything stays aligned properly.

Starting to really come together now mate :)

Craig

Wow Pip ... that is just looking phenomenal. Bet it's reassuring to have such a rigid fuselage, I would be on high anxiety (but then I'm nowhere near as skilled as you).

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim, yeah - Thanks a lot mate...

It's amazing the difference the fuselage feels in my hands now - compared to as it was before I gave it my 'treatment'.

it now gives me a lot of confidence and a good working base to start 'hanging' major parts off it,  without disappointment or see it flop everywhere.

Though, I would be at a more advanced stage now, if I was working with the 'thicker' Tigger version.

Pip

Edited by Piprm

Glad to see the fuselage finally free Pip! 

Your techniques on display in the build are so unique :).... I would have gone the easy way and built a skeleton. Still, I'm sure the advantage of your approach is in ensuring everything stays aligned properly.

Starting to really come together now mate :)

Craig

Hi Craig,

unique? well thanks for compliment! Well, what i am offering here is a guide for others to follow, if they find some project they are doing needs some extra rigidity to it. (like a B-29 model for example)

Yeah - alignment is critical with such a big model! ... a little bit out here means a lot out there - further down the chain.

Right now - i want everything to start going together - without much surgery! :fight:

Pip

Edited by Piprm

Amazing work, Phil! I'd love to see this in the flesh some time. Bring it to Expo in Melbourne next year!

Kev

Thanks Kev,

If it's done by then - then perhaps I will!... maybe Eric G might take it to the Expo with his treasures - on my behalf, during his worldly travels (?)

he might need an extra large travel bag to take it though...

Pip

Edited by Piprm

Study of Fuselage:

....like all vacuforms the joins need to be straight as a die!... the process shown here is pretty much standard procedure....

DeWDHoK.jpg?1

Yes  - Lots of:  "sanding - sanding - checking - checking"....

yb8Sl41.jpg?1

One thing that I am pleased with,  is the repairs to the lower fuselage bomb - bay area,  that I carried out earlier....

It had a gun pack/pod molded to the base of the fuselage for the B(1)a - version, so I removed it and re-contoured the fuselage back to normal with some major surgery done to it...

You can clearly see the result!  (looking from rear to front) 

RMOnfjy.png?1

stUHzUr.png

Edited by Piprm

Canopy :   (First attempt)

My thoughts now turn to the canopy and what way to go or how to approach it... 

​I decided to do a resin master to include in the resin parts set , I will be offering in future....

The I.D vacuform canopy itself,  is extremely basic - lacking any detail and support framing...

a study of canopy 'framing'  in question ...

ph1iI1K.png

01iyUPd.jpg?1

My idea is turning up a canopy frame using a PVC solid block and shaping the framing as a master resin insert to the clear part...

aqaTTW8.jpg?1

The original I.D canopy has badly yellowed with age... So i will use it here as a template to design the canopy framing around it, for now....

ZFzRL9R.jpg?1

MyKHL3V.jpg?1

the rough canopy frame part needs a lot more work done to it,  to look more convincing -  than appears here  (maybe 30% done) 

but, for some reason ... I am not completely convinced that this is the way to go! (I have since thought of a better way)

I will put it aside as a back-up piece in case my other version doesn't work the way i plan.

See Folks!.. I can experiment and play around with ideas before i get the result I am after!

Edited by Piprm

Wings and Things:  Making Attachment Structures

time to start erecting main components to fuselage ...

there are many ways I can do this or approach this... but the thing guiding me, is that I am doing two things at once here...

1/. Building a vacuform 

​2/. Making Resin master accessory parts and make them available in near-future .....to help you guys build a Canberra (those of you that are interested in same project of course)

So, with no more adue:

Rear stabilisers:

CHpJm1F.jpg?1

wLGQ8AT.png?1

​The more i work in this area, the more i realised that the brass rod 'holders' are not strong enough for the metal stabiliser supports... the circular holders would crack around the base in time... so i reworked them to be much more stronger and lessen the chance of cracking or breaking...

Also:  Please keep in mind that these parts that you see here and in progress here , are being test fitted only!... They will be adjusted or refined when i am building it with the copied /refined resin bits - later!

3oojPVY.jpg?1

lei2Pbb.jpg?1

Now onto the Main Wing Spar- support bracket:

fsBVP8o.jpg?1

Uajk5k4.jpg?1

This is my Main wing - Main Spar master that I plan to reproduce in resin at a later date.... it won't have the big holes in it as seen here - you'll have to cut out the holes for your main spar rod or wooden dowl etc and also cut out a 2mm circular support in sheet styrene (using a template i will supply) and screw or bolt together... as you see here

PwidYJ6.jpg?1

Wrpwxie.png?1

dJNwf9W.jpg?1

qxcK5Ep.jpg?1

rGkTVWU.png?2

Edited by Piprm