I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Front Landing Gear Masters :

First the complete set in copper ready to send for metal casting....

ZM1zd04.jpg?1

Now Showing loose assembly with first test-shot metal gas-strut support arms (on right) and leg mounting brackets on left - the two metal rods (at the front/bottom of photo) are for the front well doors- Actuators (open-close mechanisms)

3KXDgDg.jpg?1

The landing gear mounts  (on left) attaches to the front of the wheel well - the 4-attachment points to the well-walls are beefed up to make sure I have  a secure mounting for the front legs!

The circular collars are bearings for the front- legs to swing up and down. The attachment point to the legs are the top-left piece on the leg.

Edited by Piprm

Phil,

Landinggear are really great. I have seen ID Models kits of the Canberra without the gunpack. Were there several options?

Cees

Hi Cees,

Glad you like them!

I think the newer version don't have the gunpacks ... mine is an old  first - issue (I've only seen 2 versions of the sheet / with and without gunpack) - I don't know of other versions to date - Cees.

(if anyone wants these gunpacks .. let me know)

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Piprm

Hi Anders N,

Wow! an Ex-RAF machine converted to a Swedish machine! They certainly went crazy with the black spray can!

But yeah! ..  the front wheel-well isn't that easy to access - even for a Squirrel!

Here is some of my reference photos to paruse!

uwOQXyX.png?1

This is an RAAF front well- most are painted silver - The english Aircraft  seem to be painted in a light creamy color  and now - swedish black too as referenced By Anders N photos.

Also: please note -  the two long bars connected to the rail - on the back wall, which lower and raise the door covers. (I have done samples of them already) see previous posting

ZvhxEC0.jpg?1

This is looking directly up into well- perhaps laying on back.

ghluhWz.png?1

this is looking from behind front wheels and to front wall of wheel well... and undercarriage mounts

omdgkDm.png?1

This is looking to Top- rear of front leg and back up the support arms and gas strut linkages to the back wall)

Edited by Piprm

....And this is my attempt at same front wheel-well... (It's about time to get my fingers dirty now - on some plastic!) ha ha

MNEWNVY.jpg

Followed by.....

CSDnlrG.jpg?1

o9YxhVx.jpg?2

The brass connected ring is where the support arm connects to back of wheel-well ( see reference photos)

And then a loose assembly of parts turns into a wheel-well

DBTdcZz.jpg?1

The pencil marks  on the left ( front wall) is where the leg bracket mounts go and is the front leg attachment point. This will be strong mounting!

txxtuGn.jpg?1

The door- cover actuating rods (in metal) will connect to the very small brass tube-connection - half way up the back rail ....on rear wall in wheel well. (see first photo - in previous post)

....I intend to reproduce these in resin in the near-future

Edited by Piprm

Great work.  Got a name-brand on the rivets?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Spot the Rivet?

No .. Archer is the brand... I found them Great to work with .. though a little expensive when looking at surface areas to cover here... but since it is mastering for resin parts - then it is worth it in my books!

first observation is it looks a little bit of rivet over-kill.... but that is how the well is! (again - check the photos!)

The look of black spots on white surfaces seems to jump out a little but I assure you, they will settle in nicely, when copied in resin!

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Piprm

That is going to require a big set of balls to commit that wheel bay to a bath in silicone mate!

Hi Eric,

The photos make them look HUGE!... but they are not really! ...maybe the size of 2 matchboxes.

But yeah mate - I think I'll be doing lots of over-time at work .. coming up to Xmas - to pay for this!

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Piprm

Very impressive! :speak_cool:

Whats next? Building a working manned space capsula?

Regards

- dutik

Hi Dutik!

Thanks for the compliments!

I like new challenges - like anybody... but I don't think the resin and plastic will take the re-entry!

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Piprm

Great scratchbuilding Phil,

How are you going to tacke the cockpit, full interior or only the bits you really can see?

Sat in a Canberra cockpit at the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington earlier this month and the

two crewmembers behind the pilot only had two very small square windows directly above them.

And the interior is all black.
Cees