I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Cockpit side console ( Pilots hand-wheel) 

We now move back to the cockpit and to the pIlots side console with a small hand-wheel that's been nagging at me for some time... for three reasons

1/.  it's so teeny - weenie 

2/. it's annoyingly complex to make

3/. It's a stand-out main-piece that needs to be done ( I'm only doing the major 'obvious pieces in cockpit)  

Refer to photo below to see what i mean....

Y7wdaKh.jpg?1

A hand-wheel within a hand wheel! ( a circle within a circle thats stepped) ....Easy - Peasy! :thumbsup:

So... How to make!? :hmmm:

Plastic?  hmm....no... too fiddly and not so rigid for my purposes - seeing its measures 3mm x 2.5mm ( about the size of the rubber tip on your pencil) 

This idea could be reserved as my last alternative as building something ( and mastering it at that) in plastic that small and fragile... is like building a snow flake! 

Lathe with metal piece? hmm...maybe,  but I'd probably need a few tries at it to get it right.

After some thought and a lot of time to think this over ( and putting it off as much as I could) I came up with this quick fix/build using copper metal pieces and nails and anything else i could use - such as a model car 1:43 white metal casting of a fuel cap,  of all things to choose.

VZstEsB.jpg?1

1V7xmxc.jpg?1

As you can see - I always draw my ideas down on paper to check it 3D and exploded in a schematic way.. to see if it  'might'  work

... and focus on each piece of the puzzle to find each part source ( in it's various base forms ) and try to nail it  ( ha ha ) 

JNSvyBH.jpg?1

4veLSMa.jpg?1

GZt45H1.jpg?1

MgFi9hJ.jpg?1

FC7tlQq.png?2

QNwQt2D.jpg?1

erEMpU0.jpg?1

Well, it looks like it should!... and, as I said in previous threads... I'm working smarter now!

I found making this very small intricate piece,  was like making fine jewellery or the inner workings of a watch! ... but this hard item to do - is done... much to my relief!

I think ( more hope) that this maybe the top of the summit - in the many challenges of the MOUNTAIN,  I must climb -  for this project. 

I know what parts I must do ahead ....and by my reckoning... they aren't as difficult as the above piece.

Anyways... NEXT!

Pip

Edited by Piprm

Cockpit Continued :  (Pilots control column - Joystick)

We now move onto finishing off or finalising some parts,   And here is some parts that I've prepared earlier ( I'm starting to sound like a cooking show Host-Chef! ) 

4oJKVZX.png?1

The Pilots control column or joystick...

The basic shapes are there , I simply ( or not so simply) need to detail the centre-piece yoke and add bits here and there...

Here is some photos for your familiarisation...

JauI3fs.jpg

0YfdAhe.png?1

As you can see the hand grip piece is rather shapely and contoured which I'll have to try and replicate

x8QDjIn.jpg?1

There is also this tricky secondary lever attached to the hand-grip that i will have to attempt as well...  it is too interconnected and it will have to be moulded as a separate piece for sure.

OK..... So we start with a brass piece to knock into shape ( so to speak)  -   The photos tell the rest of the story....

0uE6u2j.jpg?1

0ZUaFjQ.jpg?1

I hammer the square brass tubing flat,  which pinches on the brass wire - giving me a starting point to this piece.

4kcaDv0.png?1

CDhnFW0.jpg?1

wBwvHjg.jpg?1

Checking to see fit and angles are right ..

Then,  build it using the following tools :  Razor saw, small odd-shaped files, and a Dremel wire brush to finish it up  - That's it 

The result is below....

pyMPjvB.jpg?1

Hmm ...it seems the parts are getting smaller and smaller .....as I go along  - at this stage....  :wacko:

LatQbOh.jpg?1

Dqpu0cz.jpg?1

The lever is finished ( on the left ) and Teenie  Weenie it is too! .... the hand-grip in the middle was a problem at my first attempt,  soldering on bare metal as the molten metal got so hot,  that the whole original soldered hand-grip piece - started to fall apart ( made of about 6 pieces- soldered together).. so, I moved to plan B and decided on coating the metal hand-grips with Milli-put and shaping the handgrips with that method - which is only good for copying purposes anyways...

The control column to the right was modified further with a box-type module on top - which I did .... (details below)

22h2seZ.png?1

pI6F7ak.png?1

This 'Module' varies in shape and size from each Canberra Mark ( and country using it for that matter) So I've based my version on the Australian Canberra and any other Marks can be adjusted  by simply cutting or modifying the module on top of the resin copy.

x9U2ode.jpg?1

LDR8r2T.jpg?1

You can see the very small Module version ( and I have seen a few variations) in below photo ( English Canberra) to see what I mean!

L3SmV1a.jpg?1

And here is the finished results ....

DwgHtWN.png?1

GnnIKxR.png?1

y0BSITp.png?1

cR21ewj.jpg?1

Happy with results  so far! ^_^

NEXT!

Pip

Edited by Piprm

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone - for your kind words!

Cockpit - ( Continued)

Now we move onto the footwell part of this cockpit and find the Pilots Rudder Control Pedals...

Little did I know,  that this little piece of  ....   gave me nothing but grief from start to now! ..... because It fought me all the way!!!

It isn't a case of your regular simple foot pegs and bars set up but a contraption fitting an Orson Wells Time machine.. Extra Galling,  since you can hardly see them!

I am making pieces for the processes of resin copying ( as you know)... so my choices of doing this in metal was appropriate for this cause.

If i was simply building this for myself - maybe I would have knocked it together with plastic tubing/ rod/ strips and what-not... but the piece must be sturdy enough for the molding processes as well as giving some sense of reality to the piece. But the difficulties are increased because of the very small size and structure are something a Jeweller would cough at -attempting.

The piece is also 1.5cms wide ( about 3/4 inch in the US imperial) so it is quite teeny to begin with and if done in plastic - would be very flimsy and difficult

( maybe more so)  indeed and not really a piece you would easily copy in resin!

So, to begin with - I now share with you the imagery of this wonderful piece that has been such a joy for me to make!... ( He says Sarcastically) But truthfully,  Perhaps THE most difficult,  I have  EVER made -  to date!!! I am very sure this will be the last of the micro-pieces in this project!!! :excl:

I now give you (with my pleasure) the ..... erh  Rudder Pedals construction  for your enjoyment (not mine)

Details firstly,  for your familiarisation...

buVg2Wc.jpg?1

vUD2EXr.png

vIpPWK5.png?1

eDaGVed.png?1

c0RfaFv.jpg?1

Because of the trouble or should I say 'Fight' this piece gave me : making  linkages, bars, brackets pins, etc etc... I cannot give you a sequence of photos that show this piece coming together in any logical way... as each step I chose from the start ended with disaster in one form or another ... for example .. I would drill one piece and as I was almost finished drilling the hole with three extra pieces connected to the part I was making.... the drill would catch a snag piece of metal at the bottom of the hole I was drilling ( out of sight) then grab the entire piece and spin the structure around the drill bit at 6,000 RPM and destroy itself completely!... after 3 days solid work... ( thats just one example) .. and after trying many ways to progressively make this piece ( and failing) .... I then realised that this piece wanted only to be built in one  system of steps ( drill this hole here before you make that piece there) and if i go outside it - the work I have attempted to that stage, will be destroyed or wrecked and unsalvagable !

So ... to make sense of the following photos (done over a very long period of time) and in different build sequences.. I have decided to show you 'HOW' i make these pieces instead. 

You can see the part coming together but out of sequence....

Sorry - i tried to sequence these photos but it jumped around too much - so now the focus is part - making ( at least with this section of the project-build)

drdZta8.jpg?1

0xtnhrt.jpg?1

WqBPJiX.jpg?1

ozGbFq6.jpg?1

Fsc5sik.jpg

wajG2kt.jpg?1

This is a one - of- a - kind Mastered piece ( made of metal)....  There are many ways to approach doing this.. but for me  - I start with a blob of solder around the end of the brass tubing ( being the base /stand or plinth of the pedal structure) and then sculpt it into shape using the Dremel and hand files and finalising the piece by polishing it.

ObQO4lz.jpg?1

xSBuaSW.jpg

I now make the cross- bar of the rudder pedals ....

ALYEFHo.png?1

H9Xu85E.png?1

Z3V0V4l.jpg?1

Always Test fitting each part and comparing to photos at every step.....

3Ak1EgZ.png?1

zaXQKvy.png?1

cgwzTWR.png?1

WtL9AIf.png?1

SHgsnFj.png?1

eYbD2I5.jpg?1

BOW1pxd.jpg?1

vxQrRfT.png?1

This was the easiest part.... the next part almost broke me as a human being!   :crying:

Pip

Edited by Piprm

Pilots Rudder Pedals ( Continued) 

I then check size of pedals I am making to the area of the floor it will occupy - again checking photos and all materials i can...

7Fqi15C.jpg?1

Oz4ruc1.jpg?1

nOjusrU.png?1

These are the accursed secondary bars ( highlighted in Pink) that I must attempt. 

So to do this i must design/ make/ build some system of  rods and links and pins for this secondary structure...

I show you now, How I go about it...

Ee3wibv.png?1 

ZhkfkDH.png?1

bxXn6Zn.png?1

pbtrvWM.png?1

Don't forget guys, I am mastering parts in this phase of the Canberra project - not building as yet!

Now i will show you how I make the swivel arms of the structure....

Making the pins for the swivel arms :

F9JiMMO.png?1

vdZzDiV.png?1

gI4dtpv.png?1

q4fxjC8.png?1

NAF6je5.png?1

3qbX9qV.png?1

Then after I study the individual pieces of the brackets , there are round metal tubing connected to open ended square brackets....

Basically I have to make square pegs connecting into round holes!

Easy - Peasy !  :thumbsup:

xSBuaSW.jpg

The above photo shows what I mean... ( in pink) 

cSP44Ls.png?1

lOKJbS3.png?1

jdHG8Ku.png?1

so a round peg does go into a square hole!

Pip  ;)

Edited by Piprm

Thanks Anthony - Glad you're enjoying my journey

Pilots Rudder pedals - (Cont)

What I call :  SIDE-LINK BARS 

This piece gave me the Greatest  Grief of all..  very small - very accurate and very fiesty !

What more can I say?

I've Highlighted these hard to see or elusive Side-Link Bars,  that are obscure by the foot pedals and other bits of the structure in most references I've seen  ... but from what i know - I've marked/drawn and highlighted in  'Pink'  and supply every photo angle I can find ( only 2 ) to give you at least an idea of what they should be like...

vKBlj2l.jpg?2

SCCikdx.jpg

rhwnjdR.png?2

Hard to see through the clutter on the floor.... but it gives you some idea of the piece in question...

The piece is best described as a mounting at the front for the control pedals  and the side - link bar at it's centre-section  has a hole in the middle for pivoting and the bar continuing to the back with a pivot-link. ( 3 - in - one) 

The hole in the middle was the worst bit for me!

CbExo3A.png?1

RbdzjxR.png?2

Lyo0EIN.png?1

With this piece done ( took me at least 4-5 attempts) ... we now move to the main rudder-bar to finalise the piece...

LGwTOUi.png?1

45Mwp98.png?2

vtKXnHj.png?1

The Dark lines indicated above -  is where these side-link bars should attach  through-out with pins ( the small rod on the left  - fitted , is a test piece)

... or broken - I can't remember! :hmmm:

So there is one swivel piece connection to the back and a through -swivel connection piece in the front Main Rudder Bar ..... connecting through to the pedals at the front .

This description is the side-link bars highlighted in pink above - earlier .. they had to be small, accurate and have 3 connection points to the one piece.

it all seems simple - but in reality - it definitely wasn't!

I guess you can see now why it was such a pain.

Pip

Edited by Piprm