I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Cockpit Crew Entry /Exit Hatch:

We now move onto the Crew door as i have decided to make this as one separate piece that can be displayed either open or closed. ( having detail on both the inner and outer surfaces)

This piece will be made of resin eventually with all the other parts I have ear-marked for small production.

Please see photos below for your reference:

0yO1Fzu.jpg?1

MNe4V0T.png?1

mGi1TXB.jpg?1

riyQL6t.png?2

You will notice in following inner-door photos that there are differences ....

This one above is without any lining ( though it should normally have..)

fYJh6og.jpg?1

This is a normal inner door lining painted cockpit Black - though fading now and looking a little worse for wear

X2Umjz7.png?1

This one has  recently had its inner liner renewed, though lacking any paint.

Edited by Piprm

Cockpit Crew Entry /Exit Hatch Build:  (Choices)

In times gone by, I have done projects like this,  that require a lot of work, time, ,material , method, thought etc and seeing this project has taken some time and longer than I anticipated, I have decided to work smarter- not harder!

So, instead of making this crew access door/hatch using a lot of stepped processes - materials and a Hell of a lot of time...... my approach is simple,  yet gets me the same results:

Its called ' The Squish method'

The photos following show how it's done...

(Firstly, I start off with a cut to size - flat Plastic styrene 'plug' of about 2.5mm thick )...

akvoiGr.jpg?1

XpK540N.jpg?1

uAj5U66.jpg?1

NOTE: Don't try doing this without Gloves!!!

But for this process - I choose an opposite area of the fuselage ( because the fuselage entrance right-side has an opening now - so I can't use it)

In this case of the Canberra, the forward fuselage gets narrower to the front and the door follows the same contours - So by reversing the finished molded piece,  horizontally front to back  ( L /R fuselage ) you reverse the mirror- copy! .... ( you turn the left-side copy to now a right side) and there you are!

hQeyrpd.jpg?1

VVIvhF6.png?1

loRJaQK.jpg?1

yiOYckR.jpg?1

xVVBGBR.jpg?1

aM4pZXq.jpg?1

jOKHbVv.jpg?1

88BCjUn.png?1

S1a7p7j.png?1

I always test-fit every piece I make , as i move along... I don't want to come back to it later after I made a lot of other pieces to find this doesn't fit or what-ever  - which effects every other piece i have worked on since 

Edited by Piprm

Crew Access Door - Continued......

szdOwUo.jpg?1

Good! - body of the Door to the Inner wall entrance and outer Fuselage entrance  FITS ...... as it should

f5lnnc0.jpg?1

vXKIcZu.jpg?1

S9ZsF5h.jpg?1

8bP8RUE.jpg?1

JkMyWax.jpg?1

Note:    The the 2 door arms shown above, will be trimmed and modified / shortened -  so as to be brackets to attach to the inner wall/interior piece.

Lb6zHdD.png?2

WpVok2s.png?1

All that done in one sitting -  compared to weeks of work.... if I had done it, any other way... 

Pip

Edited by Piprm

2 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Just awesome mate!  Love your dedication.  Great move on the aircon too.  I don't have aircon in my model room, so I built a mobile bench on casters so I can model in the living room.

Thanx Gazza,

That's thinking with your feet! ... My model-room ( man-cave) is upstairs so the stairs can be the problem with moving stuff around to the cool downstairs.

Pip

10 hours ago, bdthoresen said:

Damn, Pip, is there anything you cannot make old school? Awesome work! Keep the updates coming!

THOR    :ph34r:

Hi Thor,

Thanx Matie...

There's plenty of stuff I can't make.... like a Pavlova for example - though I'm sure I'll come upon something here sooner or later that will have me stumped -

....and that's where you guys come in.

Pip

Crew Door Mounts :

This can be tricky as there is very little area - around the top of the door opening frame ( or sill) to play or work with ( door mounting -wise)  as the gap on top of the door is really  @ 2mm square.

I've also got to design the structure, so that the mounting brackets is concealed above the door frame. ( in those 2 square notches above the door - pivot points really)

So I had to put my ideas to paper to conceptualize ( Big word) my thoughts to see if my ideas will work in 3D reality.

I've got the added complexity of the inner walls / Outer fuselage mating up as one and both these inner and outer door openings that align up and a door ( and it's associated brackets) that must fit into it seamlessly. ( Eek!)

Here is my approach...

ymZbIXS.png

With my plan in place ( or THE plan - should I say) .. I begin and hope for the best... ( Gulp)

4QkODXV.jpg?1

cgCiTcd.png?2

With some tinkering - this is what I came up with ( of course - checking with both door openings each time) 

3rjOMHj.png?1

YLx6apz.jpg?1

BNonJcz.jpg?1

YxmejBc.jpg?1

e5sQ6Jt.jpg?1

k57kdgo.jpg?1

GgCSujF.jpg?1

nnnTcF2.jpg?1

The Brackets don't protrude any lower than the door frame - which is what made me sweat a bit  and I was really trying for .... by this whole exercise.

hpkc4nY.jpg?1

I Think I hit a home run with this challenging part - at my first attempt ( More luck than anything) .. but it's done :)

Pip

Edited by Piprm

Pip, i said it before and it's still valid:  this is some great GREAT GREEEEAAAAT SCRATCHBUILDING activity, so full of indeed basic old-school talent, this Canberra is going to be a gem.

good show,

Jack

7 hours ago, mozart said:

Wonderful stuff Pip, real "plastic engineering" and a pleasure to watch and learn!!

6 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow, that looks amazing! The problem solving and engineering are to be commended

5 hours ago, Jack said:

Pip, i said it before and it's still valid:  this is some great GREAT GREEEEAAAAT SCRATCHBUILDING activity, so full of indeed basic old-school talent, this Canberra is going to be a gem.

good show,

Jack

Wow! .... Many Thanks for the kind words and encouragement ( and 'Likes' too) to the guys here whom I Admire Greatly for their talents and skills you ALL display and share.

Pip

Edited by Piprm