I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Cockpit Walls - Continued

I have to consider the molding processes as I build the walls for copying in resin during every stage of this build... 

The entry hatch has to be built open and molding openings is difficult at best ...So I will make a very thin cut-out piece for this area...

I am doing this because i am making the hatch-door itself,  as a separate piece and the model can be displayed with the hatch-door opened for internal viewing or closed because  you don't want to see all that cockpit clutter!

gGpBDLX.jpg?1

bS5ix0o.png?2

VxiOzIo.png?1

The thin sheeted cover/opening that's above - back lit .... gets cut out in the resin part  copy - obviously,  as I've marked it with an 'X'

qQsduac.png?1

You will notice above .....the 'lip' around edge of the frame of the back-lit crew entrance 

OK, Now we move to detailing phase - something that's a little intimidating - considering how busy this cockpit is ( probably the most cluttered cockpit ever made in history!!!) 

... and that's probably an understatement....

In any case, I will start from the floor up and the most difficult bit is the ancillary compartment recess under the floor - of the pilot .

The photos show what I mean...

The first is a 1/48th model version to show details and some clarity....

bxWkXsw.jpg?1

cVMTnlp.png?1

xiHwwTt.png?1

This area had me rather intimidated for a while... mostly in the area of how to design it in a way to make it easy for copying as well as constructing all the pieces together ....  the challenge here is to segment the flooring into pieces that will go back together easily like a jig-saw puzzle and get the effect or look that I am chasing..

I had to think of a few variations before i came up with this version.... and mostly for ease of molding... again fit and design for molding,  is driving this process in this stage of the build - phase..

Vdf1WcP.png?1

7Vrezk0.png?1

7tbsSp2.png?1

The pilots floor is a thin separate piece with the side recess openings made in an inverted  L-shape ..

and now to finish off with floor riveting ( yes rivet-counters , I put the rivets in the right places -  just for you!):doh:

9YjvTQY.jpg?1

70WGpZx.jpg?1

Getting over these tricky stages... I'm starting to feel that i'm making some 'REAL'  progress.

Pip

Edited by Piprm

Thanks Jack and Ben - your kind words are very appreciated! ( AND Thanks everyone for the 'Likes' )

Front fuselage structure :

My focus now is the flooring / Back wall , and Front wheel well areas.

I must construct and design the 3 areas to connect together as the following drawings and photos explain....

jdoTDTR.png

The red areas above ,  I am working on -  in terms of design /fit / detailing ( rivets etc)  and construction of individual parts...

cVkoIbV.jpg?1

The common areas are that everything 'hinges off' is the back wall of the cockpit ( more of a reinforced station or bulkhead of the fuselage )  as ...

1/. the front is pressurised and the flooring is attached to the rear cockpit wall 

2/. the back of the wall is really a fuselage bulkhead sealing the front of the fuselage to the bombay  and also must carry ....

3/. the front wheel well  and the landing gear structures ( which includes the weight of the aircraft) as well as absorbing  the forces of landing....

XX4sv8m.jpg?1

th8hCsn.jpg?1

The problem is as shown previously .. the front landing gear  mounting points are to the front of the wheel well - which is also part of the rear wall bulkhead.

So I must incorporate the front wheel well attachment point to the rear wall bulkhead as one molded  piece.

laGPGFr.jpg?1

First I must enclose all open areas in terms of molding processes...

AhzJkjl.jpg?1

9JLbVm0.jpg?1

The piece to the right ( above) must be merged or incorporated into the rear wall / Bulkhead

V7WbFhX.jpg?1

YyAErRi.jpg?1

This piece must be square and also needs a tidy-up before the next process.....

L3Hab9p.jpg?1

I have made and incorporated some bracketing pieces  to make construction of the individual parts more easier for everything to line up and go in it's proper places  - as it should....

NWSpuax.png?1

The red arrows show the alignment strips,  so that each parts simply clips in place 

ysWhQAZ.jpg?1

" Like so! "....

Now we move to the other side of the rear cockpit wall/ bulkhead to the inside back cockpit wall for rivet detailing..... starting with photo references...

IaTh6Hu.png?1

tXdlFYs.jpg?1

0HWLnx6.png?3

JbJeaj2.png?2

bNDoIj3.png?1

From this 'Base' I can begin with detailing cockpit.... wish me luck !  :wacko:

Pip

Edited by Piprm

Mind boggling work Pip, I so admire your determination with this build. I sat in the Canberra at Moorrabin recently when over in Oz, couldn’t believe how cluttered it was! Quite a challenge to get my 71 year old body into the nav’s seat!! Good luck with your very carefully considered and crafted Canberra.....what a unique model this will be when finished. 

3 minutes ago, TorbenD said:

My kind of build Pip - so much modelling madness to admire :D

Torben

Hi Torben ,

I'm glad you are enjoying my build mate...  just wished i didn't have to work for a living and spend the next two months full-on finishing this off!

Pip

On 10/7/2019 at 5:03 PM, mozart said:

Mind boggling work Pip, I so admire your determination with this build. I sat in the Canberra at Moorrabin recently when over in Oz, couldn’t believe how cluttered it was! Quite a challenge to get my 71 year old body into the nav’s seat!! Good luck with your very carefully considered and crafted Canberra.....what a unique model this will be when finished. 

Hi Max,

Thanks for your kind words... Yes, that Canberra in Moorrabin Victoria is #236 which is the subject of this model I hope to finish here -  I had the privilege to crawl over a few Canberras in my time... maybe each time I was hoping for less clutter! .. but apparently not!

With the extra resin parts i'm making...I will leave the over the top/excess cockpit clutter to the modelling experts -  my plans are more finite  -  though I plan for a  good level of detail.

Pip

Edited by Piprm
additional wording

• 3 weeks later...

Love the combination of detail finesse and brick sh**-house construction turning a flimsy vac into something more robust.

I was getting through so much expensive plastic strip etc extending and beefing up just a fraction of a Tigger Su-15 Flagon (although it'll be great, one day) ; where do you get the extra materials from, and is weight an issue?

Great work Pip

Tony